Port Orford in Curry County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
Building Community Cornerstones
Patrick and Jane Hughes' strong support of education and religion helped their children and community flourish.
The third Hughes son, John, studied in the east for the priesthood and was ordained in 1895. He was remembered fondly for telling stories of his happy childhood on the ranch.
Oregonís pioneers had to build or make almost everything they needed,
including schools and churches. Like many in the area, Patrick and Jane were devout Roman Catholics, and the church they built for traveling priests was a cornerstone of their growing community. They hired Pehr Johan Lindberg, who would also build the Hughes' new house, to build the church. They called it Mary, Star of the Sea.
After Jane Hughes' funeral in 1923, the church was seldom used and fell into disrepair.
Good olí Golden Rule days
This area had no schools for pioneer children in the 1860s and 70s. The eldest Hughes son, Edward, was sent to Vancouver, Washington for a formal education. Upon his return, he taught his younger siblings the 3Rs: reading, 'riting, and 'rithmetic.
In 1881, the Hughes built a small school for children of the area, affectionately known as "Cape Blanco University." Teachers were
Location. 42° 50.466′ N, 124° 32.618′ W. Marker is in Port Orford, Oregon, in Curry County. Marker is on Cape Blanco Road west of Oregon Coast Highway (U.S. 101), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located at the entrance to Cape Blanco Pioneer Cemetery, (AKA Hughes Family Cemetery), near the historic Hughes house, inside Cape Blanco State Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 91816 Cape Blanco Road, Sixes OR 97476, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wreck of the Cottoneva (approx. 7.3 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Patrick Hughes born in County Tyrone, Ireland in 1830.
Patrick came west first, looking for gold and Jane followed later. Eventually they arrived near the Sixes River, and established what was to become a large ranch. Patrick was a progressive and prosperous dairyman. He built his ranch from the original acreage to nearly 2,000 acres, employing as many as 14 ranch hands. He produced high quality butter for barter and sale locally as well as in San Francisco. He also sold and traded other ranch products, such as smoked and cured meats, milk, and fish to local markets. Patrick built a small church "Mary, Star of the (Submitted on January 31, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Historic Patrick Hughes House.
A fine example of late Victorian architecture, the Hughes ranch house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Built in 1898 by P.J. Lindberg, it was a celebration of 38 years of hard work by Patrick and Jane Hughes. The historic Hughes ranch house is a two story, eleven room house solidly framed of 2x8 old growth Port Orford cedar. The rectangular structure with cross axial wings, has over 3,000 square feet, and was constructed in 1898 at a cost for $3,800. (Submitted on January 31, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. A History of Gold.
(link includes trail maps for the area as well as other information)
The streaks of black sand in Cape Blanco beaches indicate the presence of gold. From the mid-1800s through the 1940s, mining operations were conducted on the south beach. The small pond at the south beach parking lot provided water for the sluices. (Submitted on January 31, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 27, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on January 27, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 31, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.