Georgetown in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
A Georgetown “Cathedral”
Almost a miniature Gothic cathedral, Christ Church behind you was built in 1885. It is the third building to occupy the spot since a group of Georgetown Episcopalians founded the parish in 1817. Among the founders were Francis Scott Key, author of The Star-Spangled Banner, and old-moneyed, landowning families with Maryland and Virginia ties and a southern orientation. A total interior restoration of the sanctuary was finished in 2003, bringing the church close to its original appearance.
During the Civil War, sentiment for the Confederacy was strong among many parishioners. The rector, a Virginian, refused to offer prayers for President Lincoln and a Union victory. After Lincoln's assassination, Christ Church tolled its bells and draped its façade in black, as much in grief for the defeat of the Confederacy and the loss of so many of its young men as for the President. In the late 19th century, Christ Church continued to be the spiritual home for many of the old-line Southern Sympathizers, known as the Georgetown Assembly.
Britannia Peter Kennon, Martha Washington's great-granddaughter recalled that after the Civil War she and her cousin Robert E. Lee attended Christ Church during his stay at Tudor Place, one of Washington's oldest and most historic houses. Britannia and her sisters Columbia and
Christ Church Parish Hall, the old Linthicum Institute at 3116 O Street, was built in 1887 as a boys' school; the second floor auditorium was for decades the setting for the Georgetown Assembly's dances. The building two doors west of the hall housed the Lancaster School, founded in 1810 to offer free education to boys and girls, marking the advent of public education for girls in the District of Columbia.
Police alarm boxes such as this one (originally painted blue) were established for police use starting in the 1880s. An officer on foot - as most were in the late 19th and early 20th centuries
with support from
DC Commission on the Arts and humanities, DC Creates Public Art Program
District Department of Transportation
Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development
Citizens Association of Georgetown
Christ Church, Georgetown
Erected by Cultural Tourism DC.
Location. 38° 54.504′ N, 77° 3.68′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is at the intersection of O Street NW and 31st Street NW, on the right when traveling east on O Street NW. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3116 O Street NW, Washington DC 20007, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Volunteerism and Valor (a few steps from this marker); The Cornerstone of the Original Christ Church (a few steps from this marker); Emma V. Brown Residence (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Presbyterian Congregation in George Town, (about 400 feet away); Dumbarton United Methodist Church (about 500 feet away); Tayloe/Snyder House (about 600 feet away); Historic Preservation in Georgetown (about 600 feet away); A Drugstore Like No Other (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
Categories. • Architecture • Churches & Religion • Education • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 27, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 55 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 27, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.