George Nurse (In Memory of)
June 4, 1820-November 26, 1895
—Founder and Benefactor of Linkville - (Klamath Falls) —
Rafted lumber down Upper Klamath Lake and built first buildings on this site, 1867.
Registered first official plat of town, 1878.
Was Linkville's first hotel keeper, postmaster, and livery stable operator. Gave building lots to people who would build. Donated first school site, Feb 26, 1878. Donated courthouse block, and site of the Linkville cemetery.
Erected 1966 by Eulalona Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 42° 13.195′ N, 121° 47.365′ W. Marker is in Klamath Falls, Oregon, in Klamath County. Marker is on Main Street near Klamath Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located in the corner of the parking lot of the River Park Inn. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9 Main Street, Klamath Falls OR 97601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pioneer Furtrader (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Veterans Memorial (about 600 feet away); Locomotive 2579 (about 700 feet away); Whitlock House Marion Apartments (approx. half a mile away); This Marks the Road to Topsy Grade (approx. one mile away); Van Brimmer Cabin 1864-1928 (approx. one mile away); George Nurse (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Klamath Falls.
Regarding George Nurse (In Memory of). OregonHistoryProject.org: Born in New York in 1820, George Nurse, pictured here circa 1900, entered the Oregon Country through California in the early 1860s. In 1860, the Federal Government granted the states swamplands, and by 1867, Oregon opened these lands to settlers. That same year, after securing 160 acres from the state, Nurse established Linkville on the eastern bank of the Link River, between Klamath Lake and Lake Ewauna.
Nurse registered the first plat of the town in 1878. He rafted lumber 42 miles down Klamath Lake from Fort Klamath sawmill to build a store and hotel which would accommodate area settlers and passing travelers. “Generous to a fault,” Nurse donated land from the townsite to settlers promising to build a home and later provided sites for a school, courthouse, and
After wearing many hats in Linkville, including six years as postmaster and a brief turn at registrar of the land office, Nurse moved in 1883 to Yreka, California. Linkville was renamed Klamath Falls in 1893, and today, the Link River Bridge crosses the river at the site of Nurse’s store.
Also see . . . George Nurse - Founder of Linkville. An article, including photo, by the Oregon History Project. (Submitted on December 4, 2016, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon.)
Categories. • Notable Persons • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 5, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 4, 2016, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 211 times since then and 47 times this year. Last updated on February 2, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 4, 2016, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. 5. submitted on February 2, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.