Georgetown in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Stately Houses and Gardens
Hidden behind the grand houses of N Street — and many others large and small — are tranquil walled gardens with brick terraces, old shade trees, lily ponds, swimming pools, and a tennis court or two.
Behind you stands the Edes Home, established in the early 1900s as a home for aged and indigent widows of Georgetown, who were allowed to move in with no more than one trunk and a sewing machine. Behind it, the Colonial Apartments at 1311 30th served as Miss English's Seminary for Young Ladies from 1820 to 1861, and during the Civil War as a Union Army hospital. An ardent secessionist, Miss English despised seeing the U.S. flag flying from the building, so she moved her school around the corner and out of sight. Two of Georgetown's narrowest houses, at 1239 30th and 3047 N, are but eleven feet wide — hardly stately. They are called "spite houses" since they were built mainly to block the neighbor's light.
The stately mansion at 3014 N was built in 1799 by wealthy tobacco merchant, James Laird, whose family kept a cow and pigs in the backyard. Laird's descendants sold it to Robert Todd Lincoln, eldest son of President Abraham Lincoln.
Built in 1794-1796 (when its magnificent magnolia trees were planted), 3017 N was briefly the home of Jacqueline Kennedy and her two children after
Georgetown's Call Box restoration project is part of a city-wide effort to rescue the District's abandoned fire and police call boxes. Known as Art on Call, the project has identified more than 800 boxes for restoration. Neighborhood by neighborhood, they are being put to new use as permanent displays of local art, history and culture. The Georgetown project highlights the anecdotal history of Georgetown and its unique heritage as a thriving colonial port town that predated the District of Columbia.
Police alarm boxes such as this one (originally painted blue) were installed in the District after the Civil War. In most boxes, the alarm was activated by opening a door on the front of the box and pulling a lever. An automatic telegraph
DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities, DC Creates Public Art Program
District Department of Transportation
Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development
Citizens Association of Georgetown
Jerry & Emily Stampiglia
Erected by Cultural Tourism DC.
Location. 38° 54.413′ N, 77° 3.541′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is at the intersection of N Street NW and 30th Street NW, on the right when traveling west on N Street NW. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Washington DC 20007, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Colonial (within shouting distance of this marker); Suter Home (within shouting distance of this marker); John Laird (within shouting distance of this marker); Early African American Georgetown (within shouting distance of this marker); Mount Zion United Methodist Church and Heritage Center, and the Female Union Band Cemetery (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ross and Getty House (about 500 feet away); Thomas Sim Lee Corner (about 600 feet away); Tayloe/Snyder House (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
Categories. • Architecture • Education • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 5, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 2, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 56 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 2, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.