Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
South Windsor in Hartford County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
 

South Windsor

 
 
South Windsor Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, February 5, 2018
1. South Windsor Marker
Inscription.
South Windsor
In 1845 the Town of South Windsor was incorporated, having separated from East Windsor which had been divided from Windsor in 1768. This was once the territory of the Podunk Indians. Land was purchased from them in 1636 by the settlers from Dorchester, Massachusetts. John Bissell's Ferry, first across the Connecticut River, was in continuous operation from 1641 until 1917. The Reverend Timothy Edwards was pastor of the first church in the parish from 1694 to 1758. His son, Jonathan Edwards, born here, was the famous theologian and philosopher.

( back )
At the mouth of the Scantic River ship-building and shipping were carried on from before 1728 to 1820. Here was the home of General Roger Wolcott, colonial Governor 1750-1754 and the birthplace of his son, Oliver Wolcott, signer of the Declaration of Independence and Governor of Connecticut 1796-1797. Other distinguished native sons were Eli Terry, originator of the cheap "Yankee Clock” and John Fitch, inventor of the first successful steamboat in 1787. The Grant family homestead nearby is the ancestral home of General and President Ulysses S. Grant.
Erected by The South Windsor Historical Society
and The Connecticut Historical Commission
1972

 
Erected 1972
South Windsor Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, February 5, 2018
2. South Windsor Marker
( back )
by The South Windsor Historical Society and The Connecticut Historical Commission.
 
Location. 41° 51.496′ N, 72° 36.255′ W. Marker is in South Windsor, Connecticut, in Hartford County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Sullivan Avenue, on the left when traveling north on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1865 Main Street, South Windsor CT 06074, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Post Office & Store (a few steps from this marker); Bissell Ferry (within shouting distance of this marker); Timothy Edwards (approx. 0.7 miles away); Jonathan Edwards (approx. mile away); Old Burying Ground (approx. mile away); a different marker also named Bissell Ferry (approx. mile away); Birthplace of Jonathan Edwards (approx. one mile away); Bissell's Ferry (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in South Windsor.
 
Also see . . .
1. Town of South Windsor. (Submitted on February 11, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. South Windsor, Connecticut on Wikipedia. (Submitted on February 11, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
 
Categories. Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers
 
South Windsor Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, February 5, 2018
3. South Windsor Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 11, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 11, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 11, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.
Paid Advertisement