H. Sophie Newcomb Memorial College
Founded 1886 as the Coordinate Women's College of Tulane University by Josephine Louise Le Mommier Newcomb (1816-1901) in memory of her daughter Harriott Sophie Newcomb (1855-1870).
Originally located in the former Thomas Hale House at Camp Street and Howard Avenue.
In 1891 the college moved to Washington Avenue in the Garden District where it occupied the former James Robb Mansion and other buildings.
The college moved to its present location on Broadway in 1918. The three original buildings on the Broadway campus, Newcomb Hall, Josephine Louise House and the Art Building were designed by the New York architect, James Gamble Rogers.
Erected 1987 by Orleans Parish Landmarks Commission.
Location. 29° 56.5′ N, 90° 7.324′ W. Marker is in New Orleans, Louisiana, in Orleans Parish. Marker is on Newcomb Circle near Newcomb Place, on the right. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Orleans LA 70118, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Newcomb Pottery Garden (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tulane Stadium (approx. 0.4 miles away); National Shrine of Our Lady of Prompt Succor (approx.
More about this marker. Located on the Tulane University Campus, and mounted on the School of Liberal Arts building.
Categories. • Architecture • Education • Women •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 18, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 18, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 51 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 18, 2018.