St. Landry Catholic Cemetery
Established circa 1798; Opelousas oldest cemetery. Located on land donated by Michel Prudhomme in 1796. It is the final resting place of numerous New York Orphan Train Riders and many veterans of wars dating back to the American Revolution. Also interred here are prominent citizens of South Louisiana
(continued on other side)
(continued from other side)
Among those interred are: Sarah Verlinda Hardey (oldest known marker grave - 1818); Jacques Dupré; Gen. Garrigues de Flaujac; Edith Garland Dupré; Mayor Martin Roy; Carlos Moore; Marie Céleste Dupré Robertson; U.S. Rep. Henry D. Larcade, Jr.; Msgr. A.B. Colliard; and, Sr. Madeleine Sophie Hebert, MSC.
Erected 2016 by St. Landry Catholic Cemetery Tour Commission.
Location. 30° 32.556′ N, 92° 4.752′ W. Marker is in Opelousas, Louisiana, in Saint Landry Parish. Marker is at the intersection of North Union Street and Church Street, on the right when traveling north on North Union Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Opelousas LA 70570, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Landry Catholic Church (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named St. Landry Catholic Church
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 19, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 19, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 91 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 19, 2018.