Blue River in Lane County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
Old Wagon Road
This is a portion of the McKenzie Salt Springs and Deschutes Wagon Road constructed during the period 1866-1872. The route across these lava fields was rough and torturous. However it was 1,000 feet lower in elevation than the older Scott Trail crossing the summit near the North Sister. The road became a toll road in 1872, a free county road in 1898 and a state highway in 1917. Other portions of this old wagon road can be traced across the lava fields west of here.
Location. 44° 15.621′ N, 121° 48.002′ W. Marker is in Blue River, Oregon, in Lane County. Marker is on Old McKenzie Highway (Oregon Route 242) 22 miles east of Oregon Route 126, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located along the Lava River Interpretive Trail, on the north side of the highway, just east of the Dee Wright Observatory parking lot. Marker is in this post office area: Blue River OR 97413, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dee Wright Observatory (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); A Fittin' Tribute (about 400 feet away); Wisely Reasoned (about 400 feet away); Pioneer Mailman Scott Road (approx. 5.1 miles away); Time Traveler (approx. 14 miles away); The Life of a Lake (approx. 14 miles away).
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Old Wagon Road
Also see . . .
1. McKenzie Salt Springs and Deschutes Wagon Road.
Local settler and explorer John Latta discovered this route in 1866. He worked with John Craig in the late 1860s and early 1870s to create what they called the McKenzie Salt Springs and Deschutes Wagon Road. After crossing Scott's Trail, the new road climbed up through the lava beds, thereby reaching a summit at least seven hundred feet lower than Scott's Pass. It was open to travel in 1872 and provided the main transportation link between Eugene City and central Oregon. Craig froze to death in December 1877 in a cabin near the summit. His grave and marker are found near the McKenzie Highway close to Craig Lake. (Submitted on February 19, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Craig’s McKenzie Salt Springs/Deschutes Wagon Road. in 1862, John Craig was one of 50 men hired by Captain Felix Scott to build a trail from Eugene over the Cascades. By then the rush of westward-bound Oregon Trail pioneers (Submitted on February 19, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Notable Places • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 20, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 19, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 83 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on February 19, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.