Blue River in Lane County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
Dee Wright Observatory
This observation point has been provided to facilitate public enjoyment of the unusual and interesting combination of historical and geological features nearby. The development was planned and supervised by the Willamette National Forest and constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps Company 927.
To the south are the Three Sisters bearing 17 glaciers, 2257 acres in extent and represent the largest glacial area so far south in the United States. The surrounding lava fields cover 65 square miles, they are among the youngest in the country. The land islands to the west are older earth surfaces surrounded by lavas that poured from Belknap Crater and Little Belknap to the north and near the center of the vast flood. The lavas south of the highway flowed chiefly from Cinder Cone.
The first travel route across the Cascade Range in this vicinity was an ancient Indian trail that followed the southern edge of the lava field north of the North Sister. Its first recorded use by white men was in 1862 when Felix Scott, Jr., a sub-Indian Agent, led a party eastward over it with cattle and supplies for the mining regions of Idaho. The route now closely followed by the present highway was discovered in 1866. The construction was then begun of a toll road, opened for travel in 1872. It became a free county road in 1898
Dee Wright, for whom the observatory was named, was an old time forest officer, guide and packer, well known throughout the Cascade mountain country. He supervised the start of development work on this project but died before its completion.
Erected 1935 by U.S. Forest Service.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps marker series.
Location. 44° 15.634′ N, 121° 48.076′ W. Marker is in Blue River, Oregon, in Lane County. Marker can be reached from Old McKenzie Highway (Oregon Route 242) 22 miles east of Oregon Route 126, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is an engraved stone tablet, located on the west wall of the Dee Wright Observatory. The stone is badly weathered and difficult to read. Marker is in this post office area: Blue River OR 97413, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A Fittin' Tribute (a few steps from this marker); Wisely Reasoned (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Wagon Road Pioneer Mailman (approx. 2 miles away); Scott Road (approx. 5.1 miles away); Time Traveler (approx. 14 miles away); The Life of a Lake (approx. 14 miles away).
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Old Wagon Road
Also see . . .
1. Dee Wright Observatory.
The highway’s designers sought to harmonize built structures with the natural setting, and with this idea in mind the Dee Wright Observatory was created. The observatory was designed by William N. Parke, and constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps, Camp F-23 of Company 927, during the Great Depression. The circular tower was named as a memorial to Dee Wright, an employee of the Forest Service, a long-time packer, and Conservation Corps foreman. (Submitted on February 19, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Dee Wright Observatory.
The observatory is an open shelter built with lava stone found at the construction site. The observatory was built during the Great Depression by a Civilian Conservation Corps crew at Camp Belknap near Clear Lake. It was completed in 1935, and named for the construction crew’s foreman who had died the previous year after serving 24 years (Submitted on February 19, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Notable Buildings • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 20, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 19, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 96 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 19, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.