Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wolf Creek in Josephine County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

Early Traveler Accommodations

 
 
Early Traveler Accommodations Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 27, 2017
1. Early Traveler Accommodations Marker
Inscription. Between 1846 and 1856 the Applegate Trail through Josephine County became a major travel corridor for settles, miners, freighters and those trekking between Oregon and California. Where the well-traveled route crossed the valley of Wolf Creek, a settlement gathered. By 1855, Six Bit House, the first hotel on the outskirts of this community, catered to the weary, hungry and thirsty. The proprietors offered dinner, or a bed, or breakfast for "two bits" or 25 each -- all there for "six bits" or 75.
Long lines of mules, often driven by Mexican vaqueros, hauled freight over the hills of southern Oregon to the mining camps. In 1855 James Twogood and McDonough Harkness erected Leland Creek House at Grave Creek. "The table will always be furnished with the best the country affords, and the bar with the choicest liquors and cigars," they advertised. Henry Smith established a hostel at Wolf Creek in 1870 variously known as Six Bit House #2 or Wolf Creek House. In 1883, Smith constructed the Wolf Creek Tavern to serve local stage travelers and railroad passengers.

Wolf Creek Tavern is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. It is among the best preserved and oldest active travelers' inns in Oregon. The Pacific Highway under construction locally in 1914 and hard-surfaced in 1923, was located through the same
Early Traveler Accommodations Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 27, 2017
2. Early Traveler Accommodations Marker
nearby mountain pass traversed by earlier roads. Because of the highway and the interstate freeway which followed in the 1950s, Wolf Creek Tavern has remained in service virtually without interruption since its construction in 1883. The Inn was acquired by the State of Oregon in 1975 and restored to its original condition.
 
Erected by Applegate Trail Coalition.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Applegate Trail marker series.
 
Location. 42° 41.715′ N, 123° 23.745′ W. Marker is in Wolf Creek, Oregon, in Josephine County. Marker is on Old State Highway 99 South near Front Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. The marker is located in a small park across from the Historic Wolf Creek Inn. Marker is in this post office area: Wolf Creek OR 97497, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Febble, Hungry, and Haggard (here, next to this marker); The Applegate Trail (a few steps from this marker); Wolf Creek Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); Golden (approx. 3.4 miles away); GOLD! (approx. 3.4 miles away); Grave Creek Ranch
Wolf Creek Inn image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 27, 2017
3. Wolf Creek Inn
(approx. 4.2 miles away); a different marker also named The Applegate Trail (approx. 4.2 miles away); Applegate Trail - Grave Creek (approx. 4.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wolf Creek.
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsRoads & Vehicles
 
Wolf Creek Inn image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 27, 2017
4. Wolf Creek Inn
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 28, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 56 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 28, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.
Paid Advertisement