Scarboro in Jenkins County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
During the War Between the States, Gen. Sherman’s army (US) camped alongside the railroad here on the night of Dec. 3, 1864. The Scarboro Baptist Church was organized in 1854.
About 1/2 mile east of here stands the old Woods’ house constructed in part about ten years before the War Between the States.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission and the Town of Scarboro. (Marker Number 082-5.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission, and the Shermans March to the Sea marker series.
Location. 32° 42.833′ N, 81° 52.6′ W. Marker is in Scarboro, Georgia, in Jenkins County. Marker is at the intersection of Georgia Route 17 and Scarboro Church Road, on the right when traveling east on State Route 17. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Millen GA 30442, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are First County Seat (approx. 4.3 miles away); Old Savannah Road (approx. 6.7 miles away); Millen Flagpole (approx. 7.1 miles away); Millen Fountain (approx. 7.1 miles away); Wayside Home (approx. 7.1 miles away); Millen Junction (approx. 7.1 miles away); Millen (approx. 7.2 miles away); a different marker also named The Wayside Home (approx. 7.2 miles away).
More about this marker. The marker was originally mounted on a monopole, and was removed by the Department of Natural Resources, probably in the late 1990s or early 2000s. Residents of the very small town recovered the marker and mounted it hanging on chains in an iron pipe frame in front of the (restored) Scarboro Baptist Church.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 14, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,776 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 14, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.