Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Baltimore in Baltimore County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Fire Power

Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail

 
 
Fire Power Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, October 23, 2014
1. Fire Power Marker
Inscription.  Bellona Gunpowder Company mills, operating from 1801 to 1856, was located in present-day Robert E. Lee Park along the banks of the Jones Falls. Bellona was one of several Baltimore powder mills and produced explosives used in the defense of Baltimore. At its peak it produced one-fifth of all the U.S. powder. Bellona sold 200 barrels of gunpowder to Fort McHenry in June 1814. The explosives were likely used when the British attacked that September. (Side-bar) Homemade Powder-Gunpowder-a mixture of saltpeter, charcoal, and sulfur-fueled all explosive weapons. Escalating war and new sources of saltpeter spurred domestic production. Using powder to blast openings for mines and transportation also bolstered the industry.

(Quote) “The Bellona Gunpowder Company offer for sale, gunpowder of various descriptions, and of a superior quality, in half barrels, kegs, canisters and pound paper.”-Baltimore Federal Gazette, August 16, 1814. (Inscription beside the photo in the center)
Gunpowder from Bellona likely fired the naval guns on the water battery at Fort McHenry during the British bombardment.
 
Erected by

Fire Power Marker-Lake Roland in the background at the dam image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, October 23, 2014
2. Fire Power Marker-Lake Roland in the background at the dam
National Park Service-United States Department of the Interior.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Star Spangled Banner National Historic Trail marker series.
 
Location. 39° 22.752′ N, 76° 38.616′ W. Marker is near Baltimore, Maryland, in Baltimore County. Marker can be reached from Lakeside Drive. Touch for map. The marker is located in Robert E. Lee Park on the bank of Lake Roland dam. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1000 Lakeside Drive, Baltimore MD 21210, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mount Washington Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Home of Governor Augustus W. Bradford (approx. one mile away); The Colored Methodist Protestant St. Johnís Chapel of Baltimore County (approx. 1.1 miles away); Nicholas Ruxton Moore (approx. 1.2 miles away); First Boy Scout Armory (approx. 1.4 miles away); Carroll Hunting Lodge (approx. 1.9 miles away); Rockland (approx. 1.9 miles away); Roland Park (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baltimore.
 
Also see . . .  Baltimore Bellona Gunpowder Manufactory (1801-1856). Maryland in the War of 1812, Celebrating the 200th Anniversary of the War of 1812. (Submitted on September 17, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.) 
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceWar of 1812
 
Lake Roland Dam image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, October 23, 2014
3. Lake Roland Dam
Sign at the entrance to the park image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, October 23, 2014
4. Sign at the entrance to the park
The Water Battery image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, September 16, 2018
5. The Water Battery
Painting by Richard Schlecht, 2005.

“Gunpowder from Bellona likely fired the naval guns on the water battery at Fort McHenry during the British bombardment.” – Baltimore Federal Gazette, August 16, 1814.
Close-up of image on marker
Fire Power Marker<br>and the 1861 Pumphouse image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, September 16, 2018
6. Fire Power Marker
and the 1861 Pumphouse
Lake Roland<br>1861 image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, September 16, 2018
7. Lake Roland
1861
Above the door at the historic pump house. The land that would become Robert E. Lee park, now Lake Roland Park, was the Bellona Gunpowder Manufactory until 1856 when it was sold to the City of Baltimore as a waterworks. It was named Robert E. Lee Park in 1945 at the behest of Elizabeth B. Garrett White. It was renamed Lake Roland Park in September of 2015.
 

More. Search the internet for Fire Power.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 9, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 25, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 826 times since then and 26 times this year. Last updated on March 3, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 25, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland.   5, 6, 7. submitted on September 17, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement