Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Port Jefferson in Suffolk County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Bayles Chandlery

 
 
Bayles Chandlery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, June 8, 2017
1. Bayles Chandlery Marker
Inscription.
The Bayles Chandlery on the Bayles Shipyard provided provisions and supplies for coastal schooners and merchant vessels during the era of wooden ships. Its large upstairs room served as the informal community center in early Port Jefferson.

The Chandlery and shipyard went out of local ownership when James E. Bayles sold the property to Bayles Shipyard, Inc. in 1917. Using "Bayles" in its title because of the goodwill associated with the name, the new firm received government contracts from the Emergency Fleet Corporation to construct steel freighters and ocean going tugs for our nation's merchant marine.

After the war, the structure had a succession of owners and uses. It was part of the 5.1-acre property owned by Mobil Oil when the Incorporated Village of Port Jefferson purchased the site in 1997.
Incorporated Village of Port Jefferson
Harborfront Park

Historic Marker Research and Design by Mildred L. Michos and Kenneth C. Brady. 2008.

 
Location. 40° 56.887′ N, 73° 4.051′ W. Marker is in Port Jefferson, New York, in Suffolk County. Marker is at the intersection of East Broadway and East Main Street, on the right when traveling west on East Broadway. Touch for map
Marker detail: this building is the third Bayles Chandlery image. Click for full size.
Photo courtesy of the Port Jefferson Village Archive
2. Marker detail: this building is the third Bayles Chandlery
It was constructed on the footprint of the one destroyed in an 1897 waterfront fire.
. Marker is located near the sidewalk in front of the subject building, between East Main Street and Pass Way. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 East Broadway, Port Jefferson NY 11777, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Anchor of Our Community (within shouting distance of this marker); Delivered Afloat in the Harbor (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Well-Worn Ways (about 500 feet away); First Baptist Church of Port Jefferson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Roe Tavern (approx. 1.6 miles away); Selah B. Strong - Kate Strong House (approx. 2 miles away); Site of Strongs Neck Bridge (approx. 2.2 miles away); Richard Woodhull (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Jefferson.
 
Regarding Bayles Chandlery. The Bayles Chandlery building currently houses The "Maritime Explorium," a museum exploring Long Island's rich and varied maritime heritage. In the past, the Sons of Temperance met on the second floor on this building to encourage prohibition.
 
Also see . . .  Bayles Shipyard.
Bayles Shipyard is a historic shipyard located at Port Jefferson in Suffolk County, New York. It includes the 1897 Bayles Chandlery, the 1917 Machine Shop and Mould Loft and the 1917
Marker detail: first and second Bayles Chandlery buildings image. Click for full size.
Photos courtesy of the James McNamera Collection and the Port Jefferson Village Archive
3. Marker detail: first and second Bayles Chandlery buildings
The first Chandlery was adjacent to the Willse-Bayles Homestead, which was located in the shipyard at the southeast end of Port Jefferson harbor.

The second Chandlery was an Italianate wooden structure placed west of the pass way leading to the Bayles Shipyard. This Chandlery was destroyed in an 1897 waterfront fire.
Compressor House. The vicinity also contained a Mobil Oil Terminal. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2000. (Submitted on March 8, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceWaterways & Vessels
 
Marker detail: third Bayles Chandlery & Shipyard entry image. Click for full size.
Photos courtesy of the Child Family Collection and the Port Jefferson Village Archive, circa 1900
4. Marker detail: third Bayles Chandlery & Shipyard entry
The third Bayles Chandlery is still standing and was built on the footprint of the one destroyed in an 1897 waterfront fire. Here a clerk sits by G. Frank Bayles, right, in the interior of the store.

Bayles Shipyard, Inc. bought the Bayles Shipyard in 1917. The former Chandlery was the entry to Yard No. 1.
Marker detail: Bayles Chandlery 1998 image. Click for full size.
By Photo courtesy of Teri Powers, 1998
5. Marker detail: Bayles Chandlery 1998
In later years, the Chandlery had a succession of owners and uses. The building was part of the 5.1-acre property owned by Mobil Oil when the Incorporated Village of Port Jefferson purchased the site in 1997.
Bayles Chandlery Marker (<i>wide view; marker visible at bottom left</i>) image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, June 8, 2017
6. Bayles Chandlery Marker (wide view; marker visible at bottom left)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 9, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 8, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 55 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 8, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement