Mystic in New London County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Clark Greenman House
This house was built in 1841 for Clark and Harriet Greenman. Clark was the second oldest of the three brothers who founded the George Greenman & Co. Shipyard. The oldest brother, George, built the house on your left in 1839. The youngest brother, Thomas, built the house on your right in 1842. All three houses were built in the Greek Revival style then popular in the U.S. The cast-iron fence was put up about 1866, and the porches and ornate decorations were added to the houses in the 1870s. The Clark Greenman House was further altered in the 1900s, but it is painted to match its color scheme in the 1870s.
This section of Mystic was named Greenmanville after the three brothers. It was an industrial village from the 1840s to the 1890s. In addition to the shipyard, the brothers built a textile mill, rented houses to workers, owned nearby farms, and operated a store. The work schedule reflected the Greenmans' Seventh Day Baptist faith, with the Sabbath observed on Saturday. Strong abolitionists and strict supporters of temperance, the Greenmans were active leaders in the church they built for the community. The Clark Greenman House serves as the Museum's administrative office building and is not open for tours.
Erected by Mystic Seaport Museum.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is located directly in front of the Clark Greenman house. Marker is at or near this postal address: 75 Greenmanville Avenue, Mystic CT 06355, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Thomas S. Greenman House (within shouting distance of this marker); George Greenman House (within shouting distance of this marker); Langworthy House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Whale Ship Charles W. Morgan (about 300 feet away); Mystic Seaport Museum First Building (about 300 feet away); Bower Anchor (about 400 feet away); William Haynes House (about 400 feet away); Fishing Schooner L.A. Dunton (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mystic.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Mystic, Connecticut Historic Houses
Also see . . .
1. Clark Greenman House.
The Clark Greenman House in Mystic, Connecticut, offers a glimpse of an 1840s home that shipbuilding could buy. George Greenman and Company Shipyard was located at the Mystic port, cashing in on the glory years of whaling, from 1820 to 1850. (Submitted on March 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
George, Clark, and Thomas Greenman bought the property in 1837. The three brothers had served their shipbuilding apprenticeships under their father in nearby Westerly, Rhode Island, in the 1820s. the three brothers established their own shipyard in 1837, purchasing 12 acres of land at the bend of the Mystic River, land with enough slope to launch a vessel and with clear access to deep water. Like the majority of American shipbuilders, the Greenmans began their yard by supplying the local need for vessels. (Submitted on March 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Clark Greenman House (1841).
The Clark Greenman House has a porch and ornate Victorian decoration, which were added in the 1870s. The house was acquired by Mystic Seaport in 1949, initially serving as the museumís library and now housing its administrative offices. (Submitted on March 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Architecture • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 12, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 48 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.