Mystic in New London County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Part of this house was standing when brothers George, Clark, and Thomas Greenman purchased the surrounding land in 1837 and founded the George Greenman & Co. Shipyard. They lived here until George Greenman built the house on your right in 1839. About 1849 the 1 1/2-story house on this site was raised and a new first floor and a two-story ell were added. For nearly 50 years it then served as a boardinghouse for ship carpenters and other laborers, run by ship joiner David Langworthy (1818-1902) and his wife Fanny.
Mystic Seaport is located on the site of the Greenman shipyard and textile mill. We hope to restore the Langworthy House as an exhibit building. If you would like to find out more about Mystic Seaport, please stop by our Visitor Reception Center opposite the first traffic light to your left.
Erected by Mystic Seaport Museum.
Location. 41° 21.68′ N, 71° 57.816′ W. Marker is in Mystic, Connecticut, in New London County. Marker is on Greenmanville Avenue (Connecticut Route 27) south of Rossie Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located directly in front of the Langworthy house. Marker is at or near this postal address: 67 Greenmanville Avenue, Mystic CT 06355, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. William Haynes House (within shouting distance of this marker); George Greenman House (within shouting distance of this marker); Constantine House (within shouting distance of this marker); Brustolon House (within shouting distance of this marker); Clark Greenman House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lewis House (about 300 feet away); Thomas S. Greenman House (about 400 feet away); Whale Ship Charles W. Morgan (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mystic.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Mystic, Connecticut Historic Houses
Also see . . .
1. Langworthy-Allyn House (1820).
Adjacent to the George Greenman House, on Greenmanville Avenue in Mystic, is an earlier house, possibly built around 1820, which was acquired by the Greenman brothers in 1837. From 1931 to 1974, the house was owned by the Allyn family. It is now owned by Mystic Seaport. (Submitted on March 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Langworthy/Allyn House after 1938 hurricane. (link to 1938 photograph)
Sept 22, 1938 view looking down Greenmanville Avenue of a house identified as the Allyn house. Several trees are uprooted in the aftermath of the 1938 hurricane and appear to be leaning against the house. Formerly a single story (Submitted on March 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Six people in Langworthy/Allyn House backyard, July 4, 1926. (link to 1926 photograph)
Two women and one man are seated in a backyard identified as belonging to the Langworthy/Allyn House, Greenmanville Avenue, Mystic. Behind them stand three men. The men are dressed in shirts and ties, and one wears a hat. One man is also wearing a vest and holding a hat. The women to the left, identified as Frances Caperton, is wearing a gingham dress. The woman to the right has a bobbed hairstyle. The group is in front of what appears to be an unpainted fence. In the background the George Greenman House and part of its garden shed can be seen. (Submitted on March 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 12, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 61 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.