Jekyll Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Inﬁrmary / Furness Cottage
Jekyll Island Museum
On the Move
When first constructed in 1890, Furness Cottage stood as a lone sentry in the southern portion of the Club compound. The growing popularity of cottage construction led to its first move, off of Riverview Drive.
Joseph Pulitzer purchased the cottage from Walter Furness in 1896 and relocated it away from Riverview Drive. He subsequently used the cottage for his servants' accommodations. The cottage remained in its second location for some time.
In 1930 Frank Goodyear, Jr. purchased the structure and moved it to its current location. Goodyear then donated the building to the Jekyll Island Club to be used as an infirmary. The infirmary was fully equipped and staffed during the season and operated until the close of the club in 1942.
Panel funded by a donation from the Friends of Historic Jekyll Island, Inc.
Erected by Jekyll Island Museum.
Location. 31° 3.403′ N, 81° 25.191′ W. Marker is in Jekyll Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is on Old Plantation Road west of Stable Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located near the street and just to the west of the subject building.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Morgan Tennis Court (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); All Work and No Play (about 700 feet away); Childhood in an Island Paradise (about 700 feet away); A Winter City (about 700 feet away); The Skeet House (about 800 feet away); M.E. Thompson and the Purchase of Jekyll Island (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old World Charm (approx. 0.2 miles away); Men of Means (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jekyll Island.
Regarding The Infirmary / Furness Cottage. The Infirmary / Furness Cottage is part of the Jekyll Island Historic District.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Jekyll Island Historic District
Also see . . . Walter R. Furness Cottage, 1890.
Also known as the Old Infirmary, for its later purpose, this Shingle Style Victorian was designed by the prominent architect Frank Furness for his nephew, Walter Rogers Furness, who later became an architect himself. The younger Furness was one of the founding members of the Jekyll Island Club and wintered here for several seasons. He sold the cottage to Joseph Pulitzer in 1896 and after three moves (Submitted on March 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 23, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 79 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.