St. Francis Dam Disaster
Just before midnight on March 12, 1928, the dam collapsed and sent billions of gallons of water down the San Francisquito Canyon, eventually meeting the Santa Clara River on its way to the Pacific Ocean.
Many local families who worked and lived near the river on the ranches of Newhall & Camulos, along with residents from Piru & Buckhorn, were swept away. Some survived, most perished, and some were never found. Left forever, entombed in the mud of the river.
May they all be at peace. God bless.
Erected 2018 by Piru Cemetery Board.
Location. 34° 24.911′ N, 118° 48.268′ W. Marker is in Piru, California, in Ventura County. Marker is on Center Street half a mile west of Main Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in the Piru Cemetery. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3580 Center St., Piru CA 93040, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Portolá Expedition (approx. ¾ mile away); Rancho Camulos (approx. 2.8 miles away); Governor Juan Alvarado (approx.
Also see . . . Santa Clarita Valley History. An extensive collection of articles, photos, videos, and information relating to the St. Francis Dam Disaster. (Submitted on March 18, 2018, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California.)
Additional keywords. William Mulholland, Los Angeles Department of Water and Power, aqueduct,
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Disasters •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 22, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 18, 2018, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 18, 2018, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.