Boston in Suffolk County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
Lewis Wharf, 1835
Boston's legendary clipper ship trade centered around Lewis Wharf. Ships bound for faraway ports sailed from here in the 1840s and '50s:
• to buy tea in China and sell it in Europe.
• to California where most of the '49ers' famous gold was made by suppliers of eggs at $10 per dozen and barrels of flour for $44 apiece.
• to Russia where William Ropes traded cotton and mineral oil (called "Ropski kerosin" in St. Petersburg) for hemp and iron.
Today, Lewis Wharf provides residential, commercial and recreational facilities.
Location. 42° 21.79′ N, 71° 3.008′ W. Marker is in Boston, Massachusetts, in Suffolk County. Marker can be reached from Atlantic Avenue south of Commercial Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Each of two instances of this marker is mounted at eye level, directly on the Lewis Wharf Building. One is mounted beside the north entrance and one beside the south entrance. Access to either copy of the marker is via the walkway along the corresponding side of the building, walking east from Atlantic Avenue. Marker is at or near this postal address: 28 Atlantic Avenue, Boston MA 02110, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. North Square (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Paul Revere House Garden Court Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mansion of Gov. Hutchinson (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Paul Revere House (approx. 0.2 miles away); North Square Houses, 1715 (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Paul Revere House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Moses Pierce-Hichborn House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Boston.
Also see . . .
1. Lewis Wharf.
The granite structures on Lewis Wharf were built as an early 19th-century shopping mall in the era before railroads when water transport was the most efficient way to move commodities to marketplaces. Lewis Wharf stores represented the apex of New England marketplace architecture in the age of water transport. Merchandise arrived at the wharf in watercraft of all sizes from Middlesex Canal boats to oceangoing schooners. Items advertised for sale included cocao, cod, "Guadeloupe cotton", "Jamaican fish", gin, rice, salt, white sugar, "brown Havana sugar", tar, and turpentine. (Submitted on March 22, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Lewis Wharf History.
(This link includes pictures and history of the Lewis Wharf and surrounding waterfront through the years.)
Lewis Wharf has served as a key trade point in Boston since the 1700s. In the two hundred years that followed, various build-outs and extensions were granted, to allow the wharf to grow in size. The focus, however, remained on the economic strength of the site, rather than the public enjoyment of the waterfront. By the mid-1900s, this once-booming wharf saw diminished economic activity and ultimately fell into physical despair. The overall industrial environment of the site, with dilapidated pilings and crumbling warehouses, severely restricted public access to the harbor and its views. (Submitted on March 22, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Lewis Wharf.
Built in the 1800s, Lewis Wharf originally served as a granite warehouse on the Boston Harbor. It was developed and converted into 90 full-service luxury residences in 1973 by Carl Koch & Associates. (Submitted on March 22, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 26, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 22, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 22, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.