Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Natchez in Adams County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

Intersection of Washington and South Martin Luther King streets

Natchez Trails

 
 
Intersection of Washington and South Martin Luther King streets Marker image. Click for full size.
1. Intersection of Washington and South Martin Luther King streets Marker
Inscription.
An 1866 photograph shows that the porch on the house at 705 Washington Street (behind you) was a later addition. Those who built houses without porches often soon added them. Travel writer Joseph Holt Ingraham noted in 1835 that the area's hot climate made“galleries, as they are termed here ... as necessary to every house in this country as fire-places to a northern dwelling."

T. K. Wharton, an English architect, drew this pencil sketch of The Elms in 1859. Merchant John Henderson built the earliest section of The Elms in 1804. In the late 1850s, David Stanton enlarged and remodeled the house to create its unique, rambling appearance. He also added a curving cast-iron staircase in the entry hall.

The Joseph Stone House was created by the enlargement of the existing original billiard hall of The Elms. The wealthy Natchez upper class could afford to dedicate time and space to leisure activities, and billiards was a popular sport before the Civil War. Some grand homes had special rooms for billiards, while others, like The Elms, had separate buildings identifies as“ten- pin" or bowling alleys.

Several generations of the Carpenter family made large donations for the welfare of the Natchez community. They funded two public schools for white children (Carpenter I on North Union Street, pictured

Intersection of Washington and South Martin Luther King streets Marker image. Click for full size.
July 7, 2017
2. Intersection of Washington and South Martin Luther King streets Marker
above, and Carpenter II) and Prince Street for black children. Built in 1913, Carpenter II had an indoor swimming pool and a combination gymnasium and auditorium surrounded by a raised running track. It won an award from the American School Board as a model public school building, and now serves as a community senior center.
 
Erected by City on Natchez.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Natchez Trails marker series.
 
Location. 31° 33.359′ N, 91° 24.079′ W. Marker is in Natchez, Mississippi, in Adams County. Marker is at the intersection of South Martin Luther King Street and Washington Street, on the right when traveling west on South Martin Luther King Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Natchez MS 39120, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Intersection of Washington and South Rankin streets (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Intersection of Washington and South Union streets (about 700 feet away); This Cannon (approx. 0.2 miles away); Immaculate Conception Shrine c. 1846 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bishops' Prayer Garden (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Mary's Cathedral (approx. 0.2 miles away); Temple B'Nai Israel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Intersection of Main and South Union Streets (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Natchez.
 
Categories. Roads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 29, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 29, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 46 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 29, 2018.
Paid Advertisement