Intersection of State and South Pearl streets
Institute Hall was built in 1852-1853 as a public auditorium and a companion building to the Natchez Institute. The contractors were the Weldon Brothers, who used over 100 enslaved craftsmen and whose head draftsman was a slave named John Jackson. Institute Hall hosted most of the entertainments in Natchez until the Temple Opera House was built in 1890. In both buildings, African Americans public sat only in the balcony. Now a United States Federal Courthouse, the building has also been a skating rink, public library, teen canteen, and museum.
Built in 1828-1829, the First Presbyterian Church retains the original clear glass windows and pew doors of its elegantly simple interior. The original slave galleries, or balconies, today provide space for the choir and overflow seating. Stratton Chapel, a rear addition built in 1901, houses an extensive exhibit of historic Natchez photographs in a gallery open to the public.
Before the Civil War, Sunday was market day and even slaves from the countryside would crowd the city to sell their goods. In 1924, the City of Natchez built a new city hall on the site of the columned City Hall and Market, built in 1837. It followed an ancient English custom of placing the city hall over the marketplace. Opposition to the marketplace demolition helped to spark the local preservation movement.
Adams County built a new jail in 1891 that resembles a Queen Anne-style house. Now known as the Old Adams County Jail, the building continued a Natchez tradition of jails designed to resemble private dwellings. During the 1960s, the jail temporarily housed citizens arrested for participating in the Civil Rights movement. The county built a new jail next door in the 1970s and later restored the Old Jail for county offices. The hanging gallows, with a trap door in the floor, remain upstairs.
Erected by City of Natchez.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Natchez Trails marker series.
Location. 31° 33.544′ N, 91° 24.25′ W. Marker is in Natchez, Mississippi, in Adams County. Marker is at the intersection of South Pearl Street and State Street, on the right when traveling north on South Pearl Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Natchez MS 39120, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The First Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); In Gratitude (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); United States Courthouse (about 300 feet away); Intersection of Washington and South Pearl streets (about 300 feet away); Intersection of Washington and South Commerce streets (about 400 feet away); Intersection of State and South Wall streets (about 500 feet away); Temple B'Nai Israel (about 500 feet away); Intersection of Main and North Pearl streets (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Natchez.
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 29, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 29, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 51 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on March 29, 2018.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?