Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Santo Domingo, Distrito Nacional, Dominican Republic
 

History of the Dominican Society of the Bibliophiles’ House

Sociedad Dominicana de Bibliófilos, Inc.

 
 
History of the Dominican Society of the Bibliophiles’ House Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 10, 2018
1. History of the Dominican Society of the Bibliophiles’ House Marker
Inscription.
Historia de la casa de la Sociedad Dominicana de Bibliófilos
El inmueble que ocupa la Sociedad Dominicana de Bibliófilos es una antigua casa de piedra construida en los albores del siglo XVI, ubicada en la calle Las Damas, la primera calle trazada en la ciudad primada de América. La identificación de esta casa consta en el censo del vecindario de Santo Domingo realizado en 1528.

Fue esta una de las dos “amplias casas” que “poseyó en esta ciudad de Santo Domingo el veedor Gaspar de Astudillo, quien en su día fuera honrado por el monarca Carlos I de España con el cargo de regidor perpetuo del Ayuntamiento de nuestra urbe, a pesar de la enconada oposición que a ese nombramiento hizo siempre la corporación municipal santodominguense”, según la afirmación de Fray Vicente Rubio, O.P.

Gaspar de Astudillo nació en Burgos, España, hacia 1485 y se trasladó a Santo Domingo en 1509, formando parte del séquito del Almirante don Diego Colón. Ostentó los cargos públicos de regidor del Ayuntamiento, elevado más tarde a perpetuidad, y veedor de las fundiciones de oro y plata.

Astudillo estuvo casado con Catalina de Venegas, dama de doña María de Toledo, y tras enviudar, casó con "otra mujer de Castilla", doña María de Fuentes. Tras el fallecimiento de Astudillo,
History of the Dominican Society of the Bibliophiles’ House additional informational marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 10, 2018
2. History of the Dominican Society of the Bibliophiles’ House additional informational marker
This additional marker to the right of the entryway describes the purpose and activities of the Society of Bibliophiles.
el 27 de abril de 1553, a esta última le correspondió donar en su nombre y en el de su difunto esposo los bienes de ambos - cuatro pares de casas, dos solares y otras tierras - a la Catedral de Santo Domingo, bajo cuyo suelo yacen sus restos.

Para el año 1977 la referida casa le fue cedida a la Sociedad Dominicana de Bibliófos por el Gobierno Dominicano, en una muestra de apoyo y de confianza a la gestión de la misma a favor de la cultura histórica y literaria del pueblo dominicano. Se iniciaron en ese mismo año los trabajos de restauración de la vetusta casa, y la Sociedad Dominicana de Bibliófolos la ocupa desde el 23 de 1978.

English:
History of the Dominican Society of the Bibliophiles’ house
The building occupied by the Dominican Society of Bibliophiles is an old stone house built in the early sixteenth century, located on Las Damas street, the first street traced in the oldest city in America. The identification of this house is given in the census of the neighborhood of Santo Domingo made in 1528.

This was one of the two “large houses” that “were possessed in this city of Santo Domingo by overseer Gaspar de Astudillo, who in his day was honored by king Carlos I of Spain with the position of perpetual alderman of our City Hall, despite the bitter opposition to this appointment always made
The Dominican Society of the Bibliophiles’ House dedication stone image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 10, 2018
3. The Dominican Society of the Bibliophiles’ House dedication stone
by the local municipal corporation”
according to an affirmation made by Fray Vicente Rubio, O.P.

Gaspar de Astudillo was born in Burgos, Spain around 1485 and came to Santo Domingo in 1509 as part of the entourage of Admiral Don Diego Colón. He held the public office of alderman of the City Hall, later designated to perpetuity, and overseer of gold and silver foundries.

Astudillo was married to Catalina de Venegas, lady of Doña María de Toledo, and after being widowed he married "another woman from Castille" María de Fuentes. After the death of Astudillo, on April 27, 1553, the latter donated in her name and that of her late husband, their assets - four pairs of houses, two plots and other lands – to the Cathedral of Santo Domingo, under whose floor their remains lie.

In 1977 the house was donated to the Dominican Society of Bibliophiles by the Dominican government in show of the support and confidence in its management in favor of the historical and literary culture of the Dominican people. That same year, the restoration works began in the old house, and the Dominican Society of Bibliophiles occupies it since April 23, 1978.
 
Erected by Sociedad Dominicana de Bibliófilos, Inc.
 
Location. 18° 28.416′ N, 69° 52.962′ 
History of the Dominican Society of the Bibliophiles’ House Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 10, 2018
4. History of the Dominican Society of the Bibliophiles’ House Marker
The marker is to the left of the main entrance to the building.
W. Marker is in Santo Domingo, Distrito Nacional. Marker is on Calle Las Damas just north of Calle Alfau, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Santo Domingo, Distrito Nacional 10210, Dominican Republic.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Bastidas House (a few steps from this marker); House of the Lions (a few steps from this marker); The Academy of Sciences Building of the Dominican Republic (within shouting distance of this marker); Calle de las Damas (within shouting distance of this marker); The Fortress of Santo Domingo (within shouting distance of this marker); Diego Caballero House (within shouting distance of this marker); Gonzálo Fernández de Oviedo (within shouting distance of this marker); The House of the Rectory (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Santo Domingo.
 
Categories. ArchitectureCivil RightsMan-Made Features
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 30, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 30, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 51 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 30, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement