Fremont in Rockingham County, New Hampshire — The American Northeast (New England)
John Prescott Lovering's Inn
This old Inn/Tavern is one of the most historic landmarks in Fremont. The first Poplin (now Fremont) Town Meeting was held here at Lovering's Inn on August 27, 1764, as were many other Town Meetings.
The towns' name was changed from Poplin to Fremont in 1854. Captain Nathan Brown operated this Tavern during the Revolutionary War. Phineas Beede, Jr. used this Tavern as a popular stagecoach stop between 1836 & 1841. The famous U.S. Senator & Orator Daniel Webster stayed here while campaigning for future President William Henry Harrison in 1840.
Warren True operated this building as True's Hotel between 1872 & 1906. In 1874 Democrats fired off the town cannon, blowing out many windows in the hotel. Many political & social events were held here between 1756 & 1906.
Location. 42° 59.445′ N, 71° 8.519′ W. Marker is in Fremont, New Hampshire, in Rockingham County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (New Hampshire Route 107) and Sandown Road, on the right when traveling north on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is mounted above eye level, directly on the historic building, former John Prescott Lovering's Inn, located at this address. Marker is at or near this postal address: 272 Main Street, Fremont NH 03044, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Civil War Riot of 1861 (here, next to this marker); Historic Black Rocks Village / Historic Fremont, N.H.-Olde Poplin (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Spaulding & Frost Cooperage (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fremont Village Cemetery (approx. 0.9 miles away); Meeting House and Hearse House (approx. 0.9 miles away); Mast Tree Riot of 1734 (approx. 3 miles away); 1867 (approx. 5.7 miles away); Josiah Bartlett (approx. 5.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fremont.
Also see . . . An Historical Record of Fremont Events During the Year 2014 (250th Anniversary).
Many historical & political events took place here including several town meetings, Revolutionary War meetings, hunting party dinners, post office site, stagecoach stop, and political club meetings. The Town Canon was fired off by the Democrats in front of this Republican Hotel in 1874 blowing out many panes of window glass. It is one of only 14 homes still standing in Fremont built before the Town was incorporated in 1764. (Submitted on April 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 4, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 45 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.