Pembroke in Merrimack County, New Hampshire — The American Northeast (New England)
Pembroke Street / Watering Trough
(side 1: Pembroke Street)
Pembroke Street is one of several parallel roads laid out when the town was planned between 1730~36. The original large lots along this wide thoroughfare were subdivided into smaller lots for dwellings, meeting houses for Congregationalists and Presbyterians, taverns, stores, schoolhouses, and Pembroke's earliest cemetery, making the street a linear village by 1755. After 1804, Pembroke Street became an extension toward Concord of the Chester Turnpike, a privately built 19-mile toll road connecting Chester and Pembroke.
(side 2: Watering Trough)
Clean water was essential to the health of horses, particularly on heavily traveled roads and in extreme weather. A state statute of 1858 authorized towns to reimburse private citizens who provided and maintained watering troughs for the use of travelers' horses. In 1884, Pembroke took the added step of providing "good drinking water for man and beast" at public expense, purchasing this trough from the C. A. Bailey Granite Company in Allenstown for $124 and adding a bronze drinking fountain for human refreshment.
Erected 2016 by State of New Hampshire.
Location. 43° 9.503′ N, 71° 28.113′ Touch for map. Marker and 1884 water trough are located on the east side of the street, just south of the intersection. Marker is at or near this postal address: 389 Pembroke Street, Suncook NH 03275, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. George M. Lamiette Square (approx. 2 miles away); Suncook Village (approx. 2 miles away); Andrew Jackson’s Visit (approx. 3.1 miles away); Site of Rumford Garrison No. 6 (approx. 3.9 miles away); 1790 Milestone (approx. 4.3 miles away); An Architectural Treasure Trove (approx. 4.7 miles away); Concord Police Station (approx. 4.7 miles away); Nathaniel & Armenia White (approx. 4.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pembroke.
Also see . . .
1. 130-year-old trough in Pembroke has seen a lot in the years since horses stopped visiting it.
Quarry workers would have used a derrick, which is a crane-like hoisting machine, and teams of oxen to bring the 8-foot-long stone from Allenstown to Pembroke. A man named Thomas Welch was paid $1.25 by the town for providing the team of animals that moved the stone and a bronzed drinking fountain that went along with it. A day’s labor at the time was worth about $1. (Submitted on April 2, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. About Pembroke.
Incorporation of Pembroke was granted on November 1, 1759, "authorizing the levying and collecting such Province Tax as shall be imposed upon them by law as any other Town or Parish in this Province." On the passage of the act of incorporation, the Plantation of Suncook ceased to be and the Town of Pembroke took her place in the fair sisterhood of the Commonwealth of New Hampshire to enjoy all the rights and privileges belonging to towns. (Submitted on April 2, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Pembroke, New Hampshire.
Pembroke's early history is reflected in the various mills of the downtown area, located to use water power from the Suncook River. The better-known mills were the Pembroke Mills, Webster Manufacturing and China Manufacturing, all producing print cloth. Pembroke industries included brickmaking, with bricks manufactured from clay along the Merrimack River. In 1852, the Concord and Portsmouth Railroad established a station in Pembroke. (Submitted on April 2, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 4, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 2, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 64 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 2, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.