Owl's Head in Knox County, Maine — The American Northeast (New England)
Welcome to Owls Head Light Station
Welcome to Owls Head Light Station
“Owl's Head ushers at once upon a scene almost too beautiful to profane with speech when we are looking at it; impossible to find language to do it justice when memory would summon it before us again.”
- Samuel Adams Drake,
The Pine Tree Coast, 1891
A Majestic Beacon
A lighthouse was first established at Owls Head by the US Lighthouse Board in 1825. The present tower was built in 1852 and stands 30 feet tall. Its light shines 100 feet above sea level. A pyramidal fog bell tower once stood on the point as seen in the image to the right, warning passing vessels when the light was not visible during foggy or stormy weather. Today, a modern electronic fog horn has taken the place of the bell.
Still guiding ships today is a 4th Order Fresnel Lens. Manufactured in France, this lens was first installed in the lighthouse in 1856. The historic glass prism lens continues to show a fixed or steady white light, which can be seen for 16 nautical miles.
Keepers like George Woodward (left) kept the light shining bright for over a century and a half. Keeper Woodward served at Owls Head from 1945 to 1947.
Over its history, the light station was home to many lighthouse
The present keeper's house was built in 1854. After automation, the dwelling served as housing for US Coast Guard personnel stationed in Rockland. In late 2012, the keeper's house became the headquarters for the nonprofit American Lighthouse Foundation and is now open to the public.
Continuing the Legacy
The first level of the historic keeper's house is now home to the American Lighthouse Foundation's Lighthouse Interpretive Center. Enjoy exhibits about historic lighthouses, Fresnel lens, Coast Guard lightkeeping today, foghorns and family life at Owls Head Light Station. Don't miss the gift shop for your Owls Head Light mementoes and more… All proceeds benefit our lighthouse preservation mission!
From Memorial Day through Columbus Day, volunteers from the American Lighthouse Foundation's local chapter, Friends of Rockland Harbor Lights, staff the tower for visitors. The climb up to the base of the lighthouse is 53 steps, once in the tower it is a short 10 steps and a 7-rung ladder up into the lantern room. Please note that our younger visitors must be 42" tall to climb
Lighthouses illuminate our hearts and imaginations by creating a sense of place and inspiring dreams of tomorrow.
Location. 44° 5.496′ N, 69° 2.674′ W. Marker is in Owl's Head, Maine, in Knox County. Marker can be reached from Lighthouse Road 0.4 miles north of Dodge Point Lane, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is near the Keeper's House, at the end of Lighthouse Road, in Owl's Head Light State Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: Lighthouse Road, Owls Head ME 04854, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Owl's Head Light Station (here, next to this marker); Owl's Head Light (within shouting distance of this marker); Owl's Head Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away); Rockland Breakwater Lighthouse (approx. 1.9 miles away); Rockland Harbor Trail (approx. 2.6 miles away); The Blues Trail: Mississippi to Maine (approx. 3.2 miles away); Portland Head Light Bell (1942) (approx. 3.2 miles away); a different marker also named Rockland Harbor Trail (approx. 3.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Owl's Head.
Also see . . .
1. History of Owls Head Light, Maine.
One of the most memorable events in the history of Owl's Head Light took place (Submitted on April 8, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Owls Head Lighthouse.
The light station was established in 1825 with the construction of a round, rubblestone tower by Jeremiah Berry and Green & Foster. The tower was rebuilt in 1852. It is a 30-foot-tall cylindrical brick tower on a granite foundation standing on top a cliff. It has one of the last six Fresnel lenses in operation in Maine. The light is located 100 feet (30 m) above mean sea level. (Submitted on April 8, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Owls Head Lighthouse.
Station established: 1825 - Present lighthouse built: 1852 - Automated: 1989 - Construction material: Brick - Other buildings still standing: 1854 keeper's house (now Coast Guard housing), 1895 oil house, generator building - Height of tower: 30 feet - Height of focal plane: 100 feet - Optic: Fourth order Fresnel lens (1856), still in use (Submitted on April 8, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 20, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 8, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 55 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 8, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.