The Niagara Parks Commission / Commission Des Parcs Du Niagara
In 1885, the Province of Ontario established The Niagara Parks Commission as part of an international effort to preserve the natural scenery around Niagara Falls. Originally, the Commission included Colonel Casimir Gzowski, Chairman, John W. Langmuir and J. Grant Macdonald, and was responsible for making the park self-financing while keeping admission free to the public. The Commissioners acquired parkland along the river to create Queen Victoria Niagara Falls Park, which opened on May 24, 1888. Beginning with a 62.2 hectare park, the Commission has grown to administer a world famous, 1720-hectare park along the full length of the Niagara River, nationally and provincially significant historic sites, botanical gardens, a horticultural school, and recreation areas, while remaining financially self-sufficient.
Erected by Ontario Heritage Trust.
Location. 43° 4.692′ N, 79° 4.73′ W. Marker is in Niagara Falls, Ontario, in Niagara Region. Marker can be reached from Niagara Parkway half a kilometer north of Fraser Hill, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located on the pedestrian walkway overlooking the falls, just east of Parking Lot #1. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6650 Niagara Parkway, Niagara Falls, Ontario L2G, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Niagara Falls Park and River Railway Powerhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); José María Heredia (within shouting distance of this marker); Tightrope Walker Nik Wallenda (about Table Rock House (about 150 meters away); Wm. B. Rankine (about 210 meters away); Table Rock (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Nikola Tesla (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); a different marker also named Nikola Tesla (approx. 0.4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Niagara Falls.
More about this marker. Marker is a metal plaque, mounted on the railing overlooking Horseshoe Falls. The marker inscription is bilingual, printed in English on the left side and French on the right side.
Also see . . .
1. Niagara Falls Park Beginnings.
In 1779, French philanthropist, the Duc de la Rochefouchauld, while visiting Colonel John Graves Simcoe and his wife Elizabeth was the first visitor to realize that trade and development could do more damage to the beauty of the Falls than any war could. He wrote a proposal that the government take over and preserve the Falls. Rochefouchauld also saw the importance of vantage points from which to view the beauty of the Falls. In 1883, the Canadian Southern Railroad wanted to build a bridge across the Niagara Gorge (Submitted on April 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Niagara Parks History.
The Niagara Parks Commission was established in 1885 to control the lands and buildings immediately surrounding the Canadian Horseshoe Falls. Niagara Parks operates like a city within a city, with its own police services, road maintenance, waste collection and other services. During the height of the tourist season, Niagara Parks employs over 1,700 staff: approximately 300 full-time and 1,400 seasonal employees. (Submitted on April 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Niagara Parks Commission.
The Commission was founded in 1885 and charged with preserving and enhancing the natural beauty of Niagara Falls and the Niagara River corridor as a public greenspace and environmental heritage. The NPC manages numerous trails, historic sites, picnic areas, and attractions. The Commission formerly managed Navy Island National Historic Site under a lease agreement with the Parks Canada. (Submitted on April 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Parks & Recreational Areas •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 10, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 51 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.