Levingston Shipbuilding Company
In 1859, three brothers, Samuel, David and John Levingston, arrived in Orange from Ireland and purchased an existing shipyard, where they built wooden ships for more than thirty years. The some of Samuel Levingston, "Captain" George Levingston, established his own shipbuilding business in 1919-1920. In 1930, Levingston purchased five acres at Front and Mill Streets in Orange, enlarging his operation, and Levingston Shipbuilding Company operated from this location fro the remainder of its existence. Incorporation in 1933 sustained the company during the slow economic times of the 1930s. Edward T. Malloy was hired in 1939 as a general manager, and stayed with the company for thirty-seven years, becoming president of the company when he bought the controlling interest in 1945.
World War II brought a vast influx of business--the company had begun construction of military vessels before the United States entered the war, and continued to be a major supplier for the Army and Navy during the duration. Levingston Shipbuilding delivered its first vessel for the war effort, a 530-ton steel tugboat named Tuscarora on December 13, 1941. Between 1941 and 1945, Levinston built and delivered a total of 160 vessels for the U.S. Navy and U.S. Army including tugs, tankers, barges and ocean going rescue tugs.
After World War II, Levingston
Erected 2008 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14471.)
Location. 30° 5.662′ N, 93° 43.576′ W. Marker is in Orange, Texas, in Orange County. Marker is on Simmons Drive (Business U.S. 90) near West Elm Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Orange TX 77630, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. U.S.S. Aulick (here, next to this marker); Office of the Supervisor of Shipbuilding and Consolidated Steel Corporation (here, next to this marker); Weaver Shipbuilding (here, next to this marker); Riverside Addition: World War II Housing in Orange (here, next to this marker); United States Naval Inactive Ship Maintenance Facility (here, next to this marker); The Orange Leader John Harmon (approx. 0.4 miles away); Dr. William Hewson and Dr. David Caldwell Hewson (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Orange.
More about this marker. Located at the eastern Terminus of West Elm Avenue
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • War, World II • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 13, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 13, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 65 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 13, 2018.