Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Orange in Orange County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Weaver Shipbuilding

 
 
Weaver Shipbuilding Marker image. Click for full size.
April 12, 2018
1. Weaver Shipbuilding Marker
Inscription.
Joe Weaver established Joseph Weaver and Son Shipyard in Orange in 1897. George Levingston, later founder of Levingston Shipbuilding Company, acquired an interest in Weaver and Son in 1898, and the company built barges for the Galveston Navigation District. Levingston later sold his interest in the company to Joe Weaver's son, L.E. "Ed" Weaver. Joseph Weaver and Son built barges, steam tugboats, and performed repair work. Although World War I brought a slight increase in production to Weaver and Son and the entire Orange shipbuilding industry, production slowed again after the war. The death of Joseph Weaver in 1930 signaled the beginning of a new partnership between L.E. Weaver and his son, L.A. Weaver. Upon L.E. Weaver's death in 1941, the company's name was changed to Weaver Shipyards when other family members joined the partnership.

World War II again increased production at the Weaver yard, when contracts to construct wooden mine sweepers and sub chasers were awarded in 1941 and 1942. The wooden vessels did not attract the magnetic mines used by the Germans, and were designed to patrol the waters adjacent to their home bases. The first minesweeper, YMS 66, was launched on January 31, 1942.
After the frenzied activity of World War II, Weaver Shipyards continued to build small vessels including wood and steel shrimp

Weaver Shipbuilding Marker image. Click for full size.
April 12, 2018
2. Weaver Shipbuilding Marker
boats and also carried on with its ship repair work. The Weaver family sold the company in 1975, but regained control in the late 1980s. The Weaver Shipyards site continues to be owned by the Weaver family and remains involved in maritime work through lease agreements.
 
Erected 2008 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15629.)
 
Location. 30° 5.661′ N, 93° 43.576′ W. Marker is in Orange, Texas, in Orange County. Marker is on Simmons Drive (Business U.S. 90) near West Elm Avenue, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Orange TX 77630, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Riverside Addition: World War II Housing in Orange (here, next to this marker); U.S.S. Aulick (here, next to this marker); Levingston Shipbuilding Company (here, next to this marker); United States Naval Inactive Ship Maintenance Facility (here, next to this marker); Office of the Supervisor of Shipbuilding and Consolidated Steel Corporation (here, next to this marker); The Orange Leader (approx. 0.4 miles away); John Harmon (approx. 0.4 miles away); Dr. William Hewson and Dr. David Caldwell Hewson (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Orange.
 
More about this marker.
Weaver Shipbuilding Marker image. Click for full size.
April 12, 2018
3. Weaver Shipbuilding Marker
Located at the terminus of West Elm Avenue.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceWar, World IIWaterways & Vessels
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 13, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 13, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 51 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 13, 2018.
Paid Advertisement