United States Naval Inactive Ship Maintenance Facility
The facility was named the U.S. Naval Station, Orange, Texas, in November of 1945. The first vessel to report for inactivation was the USS Matagorda, which arrived on November 5. When the Korean War began in 1950, the facility reactivated over thirty ships, after which many were returned for storage. The facility at Orange was one of fifty-two to be chosen in 1961 by the Department of Defense to be closed or phased down. The facility remained operable, but the military presence was reduced to twenty-five
Erected 2008 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15073.)
Location. 30° 5.66′ N, 93° 43.576′ W. Marker is in Orange, Texas, in Orange County. Marker is on Simmons Drive (Business U.S. 90) near West Elm Avenue, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Orange TX 77630, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Riverside Addition: World War II Housing in Orange (here, next to this marker); Weaver Shipbuilding (here, next to this marker); U.S.S. Aulick (here, next to this marker); Levingston Shipbuilding Company (here, next to this marker); Office of the Supervisor of Shipbuilding and Consolidated Steel Corporation (here, next to this marker); Old Niblett's Bluff, C.S.A. (approx. 0.4 miles away); Atakapan Indians of Orange County (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Sawmill Industry in Orange County (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Orange.
More about this marker. Located at the terminus of West Elm Avenue.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Military • War, World II • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 13, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 13, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 13, 2018.