Indian word for "Place where five mountains meet." These mountains are River, Lee, Rocky, Knob and Newport. Laid out in 1857 and incorporated as a borough in 1861, Shickshinny was a major stop on the North Branch Canal that was built in 1828 and ran from Berwick to Nanticoke.
Location. 41° 9.21′ N, 76° 9.098′ W. Marker is in Shickshinny, Pennsylvania, in Luzerne County. Marker is on Union Street (Pennsylvania Route 239) west of Main Street (U.S. 11), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is on the Shickshinny Municipal Building grounds. Marker is at or near this postal address: 35 West Union Street, Shickshinny PA 18655, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. World Wars Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); War Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away); Mocanaqua (approx. 1.1 miles away); Warriors Path (approx. 1.3 miles away); Wapwallopen (approx. 5.8 miles away); World War II Memorial (approx. 7.4 miles away); Nescopeck (approx. 7.6 miles away); a different marker also named War Memorial (approx. 7.7 miles away).
Also see . . . Shickshinny, Pennsylvania. (Submitted on April 17, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 17, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 33 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 17, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.