Pineville in Rapides Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
The Foot of Red Hill
1923: The foot of Red Hill was the site of the cyclone , April 4, that destroyed much of Pineville from the bottom of the hill to the banks of the Red River. Harry Morris, owner, saw his store leveled by the cyclone. Dee Brady Plumbing later occupied that lot. Replacing the homes that were lost in the disaster were the Pineville Gas Company and Alf W. George's Pineville Blacksmith and Wagon Works in 1926. This side of the block has continued to cater to business. Reed's Pharmacy, George Brownlee Garage, Dixie Roofing and Pineville Ice Comapny have all made their homes at the foot of Red Hill. 1938: Huey Long Hospital Boulevard, which runs between the 400 and 500 blocks of Main Street, was built to accommodate the hospital established in 1938.
Erected by City of Pineville.
Location. 31° 19.166′ N, 92° 26.22′ W. Marker is in Pineville, Louisiana, in Rapides Parish. Marker is on Main Street (Business U.S. 165) east of Harrison Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 516 Main Street, Pineville LA 71360, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Red Hill (within shouting distance of this marker); Pineville #4 600 Block Main Street East (about 600 feet away); 600 Block Main Street West (about 700 feet away); Mount Olivet Cemetery and Chapel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mount Olivet Chapel (approx. 0.2 miles away); 700 Block Main Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); Intersection of Shamrock and Main Streets (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pineville.
More about this marker. Located at Sherwin Williams Paint Store parking lot.
Categories. • Disasters • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 27, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 27, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 60 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 27, 2018.