Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton in San Diego County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
The Santa Margarita Ranch House Bell
It has been suggested that it may have been brought to California from Spain or Mexico by the Franciscan Missionaries or it may have been a ship's bell from one of the sailing vessels that visited the California coast in the early 1800's.
For over a century it played an important role in the daily routine of the Santa Margarita Ranch. Each morning at 5:00 A.M. it rang an awakening call at which time all hands turned out to groom and feed the many horses needed for the operation of the ranch - at 6:00 A.M. it rang breakfast call - at 12:00 noon lunch call and finally at 6:00 P.m. dinner call.
At no other time was it rung except as an alarm in an emergency such as a fire.
The only exceptions to the above were when it tolled upon the death of Richard O'Neill Sr. in 1910 and upon the deaths of James Flood II and Jerome O'Neill in 1926.
The bell was taken from the ranch house in 1942 by the Baumgartner family as a memento and kept at the ranches of John J. Baumgartner, Jr. in San Benito and Santa Clara Counties until 1974 when it was returned to the Santa Margarita Ranch House by Elizabeth Baumgartner
Location. 33° 18.592′ N, 117° 20.49′ W. Marker is in Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, California, in San Diego County. Marker can be reached from Vandegrift Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Camp Pendleton CA 92055, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Leonardo Cota and Jose Alipas (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Santa Margarita Ranch (about 600 feet away); El Camino Real Bell (approx. 4.1 miles away); Walled Garden (approx. 5.3 miles away); Mission San Luís Rey de Francia (approx. 5½ miles away); Retreat Hell! (approx. 6½ miles away); Boys of '45 (approx. 6½ miles away); Las Flores Adobe (approx. 6.7 miles away).
More about this marker. This marker is on an active Marine Base. Procedures for arranging a visit if you do not have a Marine sponsor are at the following link: http://www.mccscp.com/baseaccess
Regarding The Santa Margarita Ranch House Bell. In July 1769, the Portola Expedition named the area surrounding the Santa Margarita Ranch House Bell for St. Margaret of Antioch. The Mission San Luis Rey 1827 Inventories list a small building
Categories. • Hispanic Americans • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 4, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 1, 2018, by Col. James F. Jamison, USMC (Ret) of Coronado, California. This page has been viewed 77 times since then. Last updated on May 4, 2018, by Col. James F. Jamison, USMC (Ret) of Coronado, California. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 1, 2018, by Col. James F. Jamison, USMC (Ret) of Coronado, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.