Cantonment in Escambia County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
On route of Andrew Jackson 1814, 1818 and in 1821, when General and Mrs. Jackson spent three weeks as guests of Gonzalez, awaiting transfer of Florida to United States.
Due to yellow fever in Pensacola, became temporary seat of government September 1822.
Erected 1955 by the St. Regis Paper Company.
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 30° 36.702′ N, 87° 19.245′ W. Marker was in Cantonment, Florida, in Escambia County. Marker was at the intersection of Road 29 and County Road 184, on the right when traveling south on Road 29. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 400 Pensacola Boulevard, Cantonment FL 32533, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Cantonment (here, next to this marker); Hyer-Knowles Planing Mill (approx. 13.1 miles away); Kupfrian's Park (approx. 13.4 miles away); Brownsville Community (approx. 13.9 miles away); Fort San Bernardo North Hill Preservation District (approx. 14.3 miles away); Original Site of Pensacola Junior College (approx. 14.6 miles away); Our Confederate Dead (approx. 14.6 miles away).
Categories. • Hispanic Americans • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 11, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 820 times since then and 7 times this year. Last updated on May 8, 2018, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 11, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. 3. submitted on May 8, 2018, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.