Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Houston in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

St. Joseph Hospital

 
 
St. Joseph Hospital Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, May 17, 2018
1. St. Joseph Hospital Marker
Inscription. St. Joseph Hospital, Houston’s first general hospital, opened in 1887 as St. Joseph’s Infirmary. Six sisters from the congregation of the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word, who came to Houston from St. Mary’s Infirmary in Galveston, established the facility. Two years after its opening, Harris County officials asked the sisters to care for the county’s indigent sick, which they continued to do until 1919. A new hospital built in 1894 accommodated the growing number of patients. Several months after opening, however, fire destroyed the new structure, killing two of the sisters. Another hospital, built on the present site, provided new facilities.

During the twentieth century, St. Joseph Hospital established its reputation as a leader in Texas health care. As a pioneer in the medical field, the hospital was among the earliest in the county or the state to: introduce pathology laboratory and x-ray equipment (1912); build a facility devoted to care for women and infants (1936); open a premature infant nursery (1943), coronary intensive care unit (1965) and community mental health center (1966); provide a neonatal transport service (1984); and offer laser lithotripsy for removal of ureteral stones (1987). The hospital has also made important contributions to education by opening the city’s first school of nursing (1905) and
St. Joseph Hospital Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, May 17, 2018
2. St. Joseph Hospital Marker
a large surgical training laboratory (1980). The center was also noteworthy for its research and treatment of cancer.

St. Joseph Hospital served as a leader in the medical field by providing quality treatment for its patients. It also served as an important reminder of Houston’s early role as a medical center.
 
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13592.)
 
Location. 29° 44.851′ N, 95° 21.978′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of St Joseph Parkway and La Branch Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located within the Sisters of Charity Park near the St. Joseph Medical Center. The park gates are typically open from 8:00 am until dusk. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1500 St Joseph Pkwy, Houston TX 77002, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Benjamin Apartments (approx. 0.2 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Houston (approx. half a mile away); Houston Fire Station No. 7 (approx. half a mile away); 1,000 Houstonians Join the Navy (approx. 0.6 miles away); Antioch Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Site of Old Houston Academy (approx. 0.7 miles away); Thomas William House, Jr. (approx. ¾ mile away); Daughters of the Republic of Texas (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houston.
 
Categories. Charity & Public WorkChurches & ReligionScience & Medicine
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 22, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 17, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 29 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 17, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement