Iva in Anderson County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Generostee A.R.P. Church
This church, the first Associate Reformed Presbyterian congregation in what is now Anderson County, was organized about 1790 about 1 1/2 mi. SW of this site. Rev. Robert Irwin, its first regular minister, served from 1803 until his death in 1823. The first sanctuary on this site was a frame sanctuary which served the congregation until 1897.
The 1897 sanctuary burned in 1985 and was replaced by the present building, the fourth on this site and the fifth in church history, in 1986. Generostee was the mother church of three congregations: Midway, later called Concord, active 1796-1844; Grove, active 1877-1947; and Iva, founded in 1895. The cemetery here includes the graves of many early church families.
Erected 2001 by Anderson County Historical Society. (Marker Number 4-31.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the South Carolina, Anderson County Historical Association/Society marker series.
Location. 34° 18.417′ N, 82° 42.7′ W. Marker is in Iva, South Carolina, in Anderson County. Marker is on Parker Bowie Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Iva SC 29655, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 7 miles of Moffettsville / Moffettsville Postmaster Appointments (approx. 1.2 miles away); Good Hope Presbyterian Church (approx. 1.3 miles away); Good Hope Presbyterian Church Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away); Good Hope Church (approx. 2.6 miles away); Old Iva Depot Mural (approx. 2.7 miles away); Iva Veterans Monument (approx. 2.7 miles away); Iva (approx. 2.8 miles away); 1965 (approx. 2.8 miles away); Dean / Dean's Station (approx. 6.6 miles away); Louie Morris Memorial Bridge (approx. 6.8 miles away in Georgia). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Iva.
Also see . . .
1. Find a Grave: Generostee A.R.P. Church Cemetery. Iva, Anderson County, South Carolina. (Submitted on September 29, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. The Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church. Official website of the A.R.P. Church. (Submitted on September 29, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church. The Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church is a small denomination, formed from the merger of the Associate (Seceder) and most of the Reformed Presbyterian (Covenanter) churches in Philadelphia in 1782. (Submitted on September 29, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. Bicentennial History Of Generostee Associate
Leon McDill Allison, Jr.
Founding And Early History
Little can be said with certainty about the founding and early history of Generostee Church. There are no records pertaining to Generostee's beginning.
Like many other old churches, Generostee got its name from a stream of water that flows nearby. The name "Generostee" is an Indian word meaning "little cedars".
It seems likely that Generostee Church was organized about 1790. Good Hope Presbyterian Church in Iva, South Carolina celebrated its bicentennial in 1989, and according to the information available, the two churches were founded about the same time.
Generostee was founded by people of Scottish descent. From 1610 to 1700, about 500,000 Scots moved from Scotland to Northern Ireland. From 1717 to 1790, 300,000 of these Scotch-Irish people, along with 75,000 Southern Scots, moved to America. In 1764, Dr. Thomas Clark, often called "the father of the A.R.P. in the South", came to America from Northern Ireland with 300 people, and established a colony in Salem, New York. Some of these people moved to the Long Cane Community in Abbeville District, South Carolina. Dr. Clark joined this group in 1786, becoming the pastor of the Long Cane and Cedar Springs Churches. It is rather certain that Generostee was established by some
The first house of worship was about one and one-half miles southwest of the present location. It is not known how long worship was held in the original building.
The second building, the first on the present site, was constructed of large hewn logs. Worship was held in this log building until 1828.
The third meeting house, erected in 1828, was a frame building, fifty by sixty feet in size.
The fourth building was erected in 1897; most of the work being done by the members. The building was dedicated on June 5, 1897. Two additional rooms were added in 1952. This building was severely damaged by fire on the morning of March 1, 1985. The insurance company declared the building a total loss.
The present building, the fifth in the church's history, was completed in 1986, one year after the loss of the previous building. Services were held for the first time in the new building on March 16, 1986. Twenty-nine people attended the first service. The building was dedicated on June 29, 1986.
Mr. Ben Johnston, editor of The Associate Reformed Presbyterian, writing about the new building in April 1986 said-
"Some members point out gleefully that the new building has restrooms. The old building had not even a privy, 'just the woods',
"But a well has been bored and Generostee's new home has running water, two restrooms, two Sabbath School rooms, a pastor's study, and a sanctuary with stained glass windows depicting the life of Christ."
Mr. Levis Baker served as chairman of the building committee. Other members of the committee were: Mr. Ernest Evans, Mrs. Margaret Brown, and Mrs. Cynthia Sears.
Rev. Robert Irwin, one of the seven ministers present when the Synod was organized in 1803, was Generostee's first pastor. Mr. Irwin was a native of Ireland and got most of his education in Scotland. He was installed in 1803 and served as pastor until his death in 1823. This twenty year pastorate was the only one he ever held. Mr. Irwin owned a house and a farm of some 250 acres. As he had no children, he left this property to Generostee Church, upon the death of his wife. The church rented this land until 1986, when it was sold to Mr. Dick Campbell and Mr. Marcus Campbell.
After the death of Mr. Irwin in 1823, the church was vacant until 1830, when Ebenezer Erskine Pressly became the second pastor. Mr. Pressly, the youngest son of William and Elizabeth Hearst Pressly, was born on December 23, 1808, in the lower part of Abbeville District. He graduated from Miami College in Ohio in 1826 and studied theology under Dr. John T. Pressly.
Rev. J.C. Chalmers served as pastor from 1840-1856. Mr. Chalmers was born in Newberry County, South Carolina on April 26, 1811. He was the son of Captain James and Priscilla Clark Chalmers. He and L. McDonald were the first students to study at Erskine Theological Seminary. In May 1840, he was installed as pastor of Generostee, Shiloh, and Midway congregations. He died on July 7, 1887 at Winnsboro, South Carolina. According to the centennial sketch, the Chalmers' pastorate was the most prosperous period in the history of Generostee Church. "On every Sabbath, the house was filled with devout worshipers- many of them coming on foot or horseback eight and even ten miles".
Rev. William Laurens Pressly was pastor from 1862- 1871. He was born in Due West, South Carolina on May 3, 1837, the son of
Rev. Robert Foster Bradley served as pastor from 1873-1883. He was born in Abbeville County, South Carolina on September 22, 1846, the son of William Kid Bradley. He was a graduate of Erskine College and Erskine Theological Seminary. He was installed as pastor of Generostee and Concord congregations on September 5, 1873. After leaving Generostee in 1883, he became the first pastor of the Troy congregation. In 1891, he accepted the work at Long Cane, where he continued until the end of his life in 1932. Like many other early A.R.P. ministers, Mr. Bradley engaged in farming in addition to his pastoral duties.
Rev. Calvin Pressly was pastor from 1884-1895. He was born at Starkville, Mississippi on March 19, 1847, the eldest son of Rev. David Pressly. During the Civil War, he served with distinction in the famous Cavalry of General N.B. Forrest. Mr. Pressly was educated at Erskine College and Erskine
Rev. Joseph Lowry Pressly was stated supply at Generostee from January 1, 1896 until September 30, 1896. Mr. Pressly was born on February 5, 1868 at Moffatsville, South Carolina, the son of Rev. William Laurens Pressly and Frances Elizabeth Wideman. His father was Generostee's fourth pastor. He was a graduate of Erskine College and Erskine Theological Seminary. Mr. Pressly never had a call but was assigned to his charges by the Synod or by the Board of Home Missions. He died on February 12, 1936 in Covington County, Arkansas.
Rev. John Victor Black served as pastor from 1897-1903. He was born on April 20, 1871 at Frankfort, Indiana, the son of Elihu Black and Harriet Shaw Black. He received his collegiate training at Monmouth College and his theological training at Erskine Theological Seminary. He was installed at Generostee and Grove in 1897 and continued in this work until 1903. Mr. Black preached his last sermon at Generostee on October 11, 1903, preaching on the text of II Corinthians 13:11.
Rev. William Washington McMorries supplied the pulpit in 1904 and 1905. He was born in Newberry, South Carolina on August 17, 1859, the son
Rev. Lemuel Isham Echols was pastor from 1906- 1910. He was born on December 23, 1868 in Lincoln County, Tennessee, the son of William J. Echols and Frances Catherine Barnes. He was a graduate of Erskine College and Erskine Theological Seminary. He became pastor of Generostee, Iva, and Grove in 1906. After leaving Generostee in 1910, he served several other churches in North Carolina and Georgia, and served four years as the field representative of the Board of Home Missions. He died on December 17, 1945 at Hopewell, Georgia and is buried at Oak Hill, Alabama.
Rev. Samuel Jefferson Hood was pastor from 1911-1920. He was born in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina on July 24, 1881, the son of John R. Hood and Mary Hunter. He was educated at Bain Academy, Erskine College, Erskine Theological Seminary, Union Seminary at Richmond, and Duke University. He became pastor of Generostee, Iva, and Grove in 1911. He was installed on December 18, 1911 by Rev. W.B. Lindsey and Rev. G.G. Parkinson. He preached his last sermon at Generostee on May 30, 1920. According to his diary, during his nine year pastorate at Generostee, Iva, and Grove, Mr. Hood preached 1200 sermons, administered 63 baptisms, performed 23 marriages, conducted 40 funerals, held
Robert Neil Baird served as pastor from 1921- 1940. He was born at Cotton Plant, Mississippi on December 31, 1896, the son of Rev. J.W. Baird and Anna Marie Brice. He studied in the grammar school and high school in Covington, Tennessee and Due West, South Carolina. His college and seminary education were received at Erskine. He became pastor of Generostee, Iva, and Grove on June 10, 1921 and remained at that work until February 1940. In 1945, he suffered a stroke from which he never recovered.
Rev. Ebenezer Gettys was Generostee's pastor from 1940- 1943. Mr. Gettys was born in York County, South Carolina on September 26, 1895. His parents were William E. Gettys and Alice Rosina Hogue. He served from 1917-1919 with the American Expeditionary Forces of the U.S. Army in France. He was a graduate of Erskine College and Erskine Theological Seminary. From 1924-1939, he and his wife, the former Mary Margaret Millen, served as missionaries in India. He served as Synod's Director of Christian Education. For
Rev. Leon McDill Allison, Sr. served as pastor from 1944-1948. He was born at Hickory Grove, South Carolina on May 30, 1896, the son of John Kennedy Allison and Lula McDill Allison. He attended the public schools in Hickory Grove, South Carolina and studied at the University of South Carolina. He taught school, worked as a rural mailman, and engaged in banking before entering Erskine Theological Seminary in the fall of 1930 to prepare for the Gospel ministry. He graduated from Erskine Theological Seminary in 1932 and was ordained by First Presbytery. After serving as pastor of the Coddle Creek Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church for twelve years, he became pastor of the Generostee, Iva, and Grove congregations in 1944. He served as pastor of Pressly Memorial A.R.P. Church in Statesville, North Carolina from 1948-1951, the year of his death. Mr. Allison was the last installed pastor of the Generostee congregation. Since his resignation in 1948, the congregation has been served by supply pastors.
Supply Pastors 1948 - 1990
Rev. Walter Harold Boyd served as student supply in 1948 and 1949, during his senior year at Erskine Theological Seminary. Mr. Boyd was born at Monticello, Arkansas on June 22, 1925, the son of Samuel Malcolm Boyd and Thelma Lamb Boyd. Mr. Boyd is now retired and is living in Monticello, Arkansas. His physical health is poor.
Rev. Charles Lummus Mitchell was student supply from 1949-1951. He was born at Edgemoor, South Carolina on December 2, 1922, the son of George Franklin Mitchell and Ethel Williams Mitchell. He studied in the public schools of Edgemoor and is a graduate of Erskine College and Erskine Seminary. He served with the United States Air Corps during World War II. He is now retired and is living in Rock Hill, South Carolina. He continues to preach whenever he has the opportunity.
Rev. Ebenezer Gettys, who served as regular pastor from 1940-1943, returned to serve as stated supply in 1951. There was a brief interruption of his supply work in 1970-1971. During this time, Rev. H.L. Hoffman, a Methodist minister and a member of the faculty of Erskine College, supplied the pulpit.
Dr. Gettys shared the supply work with Dr. James Patterson Pressly from 1971-1976. He continued to serve as stated supply until a severe stroke made it necessary for him to retire in the summer of 1977. He died in the Latham Nursing Home in Anderson, South Carolina.
Dr. James Patterson Pressly, who shared the supply work with Dr. Ebenezer Gettys from 1971-1976, was born at due West, South Carolina on August 25, 1882, the son of John L. Pressly and Josie LeGal Pressly. He was a graduate of Erskine College and Erskine Theological Seminary and did additional study at Princeton Theological Seminary. His supply work at Generostee was done during the years of his retirement, which he spent in his home town of Due West, South Carolina, where he served as the pastor of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church for forty-seven years. His death occurred on February 26, 1979.
Dr. Leon McDill Allison, Jr., the present supply pastor, began his work at Generostee in the summer of 1977. Mr. Allison was born in Hickory Grove, South Carolina, on November 19, 1917, the son of Leon McDill Allison, Sr. and Jessie Emeline Whitesides. He was educated in the public schools of Hickory Grove and Due West, South Carolina, and Davidson, North Carolina. He is a graduate of Davidson College and Erskine Theological Seminary and received advanced degrees from Princeton Theological Seminary and Union Theological Seminary in Richmond, Virginia. He taught in the public schools of North Carolina and served in the United States Army during World War II before entering Erskine Seminary in 1946 to prepare for the Gospel ministry. He began his supply work at Generostee after serving as Dean of Erskine Theological Seminary from 1959-1976.
Officers And Leaders 1900-1990
The following have served as Elders: J.W. Stevenson, W.W. Brown, T.A. Stevenson, J.R. Simpson, J.M. Campbell, W.D. Brown, Lewis A. Campbell, Joe S. Brown, W. Foster Simpson, M.G. Evans, Frank Clinkscales, John R. Brown, Joe F. Campbell, George Evans, Mose P. Arnold, Grady McKee, Frank Taylor, Earle Brown, Stewart Brown, and Ernest Evans. It is worthy of special mention that W.D. Brown served as Elder for fifty-two and a half years.
The following have served as Deacons: J.W. Sherard, J.M. Campbell, J.M. Stacks, David Brown, D.J. Sherard, L.A. Campbell, J.L. Stevenson, Paul Brown, Foster Simpson, Joe F. Campbell, George Evans, John R. Brown, Earle Brown, Grady McKee, Stewart Brown, Edwin Clinkscales, Thurman Evans, Frank Taylor, J. Laurie Brown, Ernest Evans, Francis Newton, and Aaron Woodruff.
The following have served as Clerks of Session: J.W. Stevenson, T.A. Stevenson, J.M. Campbell, W.D. Brown, and George Evans.
The following have served as Treasurer: John Stevenson, Neil Campbell, and Joe F. Campbell. Mr. Campbell has served since January 3, 1952.
Mrs. Stewart Brown has served as Secretary-Treasurer of the Sabbath School since January 6, 1966.
Mrs. J.A. Clinkscales served as teacher of the adult class of the Sabbath School from April 1962-December 16, 1979. Supply pastor, L.M. Allison, has taught the class since that time.
Mrs. Joe F. Campbell has served as agent for The Associate Reformed Presbyterian since 1979.
Mrs. Jean Latham is the present pianist. Mrs. Ed Clinkscales, Mrs. Grier Brown, Mrs. Laura Baker, and Mrs. Cynthia Sears have served as pianists in recent years.
The Varina Campbell Brown Sabbath School Class was named in honor of Mrs. Dave Brown who gave so much of her time to working with the young people. In 1972, Mr. Frank Harris was teacher of this class and Mike McKee, David Brown, Varina Brown, and Jimmy Evans were serving as class officers.
Mrs. Herschel Taylor taught the Children's lass in the Sabbath School for many years. There is no children's class at present. There are two children on the Cradle Roll.
Ministerial Sons Of Generostee
Twelve Associate Reformed Presbyterian ministers came out of the Generostee congregation. These were: J.S. Pressly, Laughlin McDonald, J.L. Young, J.N. Young, G.G. Gordon, N.M. Gordon, Thomas Turner, William Turner, Alexander Ransom, E.E. Pressly, Jr., T.B. Stewart, and Vernon Latham.
Daughters Of Generostee
Generostee is "the mother" of three congregations: Concord (1796), Grove (1877), and Iva (1895). Concord, first called Midway, was discontinued in 1844. Grove was discontinued in 1947. The twenty-one charter members of the Iva Congregation had been members at Generostee.
The fourth church building, which was virtually destroyed by fire on March 1, 1985, was dedicated on June 5, 1897. Dr. W.L. Pressly preached the dedication sermon, using as his text Haggai 2:9. Rev. A.L. Patterson gave the dedication prayer.
From 1900-1966, special services were an important part of the life of the Generostee Congregation. The following ministers conducted special services: Ira Caldwell, J.W. Pressly, James Boyce, J.V. Black, D.G. Caldwell, H.E. Wallace, W.W. Orr, C.N. Black, W.L. Pressly, W.W. McMorries, R.A. Lummus, C.M. Boyd, A.J. Ransom, L.E. Echols, W.A. McCauley, S.J. Hood, S.W. Reid, E.B. Hunter, J.A. McKeown, M.R. Plaxco, J.P. Pressly, C.B. Williams, I.N. Kennedy, C.B. Betts, L.T. Pressly, J.H. Buzhardt, R.M. Bell, W.W. Parkinson, R.W. Carson, J.C. Smith, B. Dale White, R.E. Craig, J.P. Johnston, W.C. Alexander, E. Gettys, F.W. Sherrill, L.M. Allison,Jr., E.E. Strong, K.J. Morris, Paul L. Sherrill, Roy E. Beckham, Grady Oates, Charles L. Mitchell, Walter J. Boyd, E.F. Gettys, W.M. Blakely, J.L. Maloney, and Vernon Latham. The last meeting was conducted in the summer of 1966 by J.P. Pressly. Many people joined the church during these special services. There were fifteen accessions at the summer meeting of 1921 and fourteen at the summer meeting of 1935. In our day of inflated prices, it is amazing to see how little the visiting ministers were given. $15.00 was paid to Rev. S.W. Reid for conducting the summer meeting in 1917. Rev. J. Calvin Smith received $18.40 for conducting the summer meeting in the depression year of 1934.
Homecoming was observed on November 21, 1915. Rev. T.B. Stewart was the visiting speaker. Dinner was served on the grounds.
A Homecoming and Dedication service was held on July 26, 1953. Rev. E.E. Strong preached the sermon.
On May 1, 1955, the congregation observed a homecoming and Dedication service once again. More than one hundred fifty people registered, some coming from distant places. Rev. L. M. Allison, Jr., son of the former pastor, preached the sermon, "A Call to Arms". Rev. C.L. Mitchell, former student supply, led in prayer. Dr. E. Gettys, supply pastor, led in the service of dedication of the new facilities. At a cost of nearly $2500, a new hardwood floor, new pews, and a new heating system had been installed and forty new Bible Songs had been purchased. Two new rooms and a porch had been added to the physical plant prior to the special occasion.
A Homecoming service was observed on September 2, 1962.
Dr. J. Calvin Smith conducted a Psalm Singing on the Sabbath afternoon of October 3, 1982. This special event was part of the Bicentennial Celebration of the A.R.P. denomination. Generostee continues to use Psalms exclusively in the worship services.
The present Church building, the fifth in the church's history, was dedicated on June 29, 1986 at 3:00 PM. About one hundred and fifty people were in attendance. Supply Pastor L.M. Allison, presided over the service and preached the sermon, "What It Takes To Make A Good Church", based on Acts 2: 37-47. Dr. James M. Bell, Moderator of Second resbytery, brought greetings from Presbytery and gave the prayer of dedication. Mrs. Grier Brown, organist of the Iva Congregation, served as pianist. A quartet from the Iva congregation rendered special music.
Generostee observed its bicentennial on November 4, 1990. Dr. W.F.H. Kuykendall taught the Sabbath School lesson. Rev. Charles L. Mitchell, former supply pastor, brought the message at morning worship, which was conducted by Rev. L.M. Allison, Jr., present supply pastor. Lunch was served in the new Fellowship Hall. In the afternoon, the Fellowship Hall was dedicated and Rev. J. Calvin Smith conducted a Psalm Sing. Dr. E.R. Young, moderator of the General Synod of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church, brought greetings.
Missions And Evangelism
On August 24, 1947, the Session approved the operation of a bus to bring people to the worship services.
Generostee participated in the denominational five-year program of "Evangelism - the New Life Movement". Mr. Joe F. Campbell served as the chairman of the committee. Mrs. Joe F. Campbell, Mrs. W.D. Brown, and Stewart Brown were members of the committee.
On October 9, 1966, two of the young people of the congregation requested that the congregation or Sabbath School undertake the support of a child in a foreign land at the cost of $10.00 a month.
Mr. Earle Brown was appointed congregational chairman of Evangelism December 7, 1969.
In an effort to participate in the denomination's program of outreach, the Session set a goal of seeking two new members for 1979 and two new members for 1980.
On March 4, 1979, Generostee gave $50.00 for mission work in Pakistan as a memorial to Dr. J.P. Pressly, former supply pastor.
On September 5, 1982, the session endorsed World Vision's Love Loaf project to raise funds to help Afghan refugees in Pakistan.
On January 19, 1983, the Session approved a gift of $50.00 to the South America Mission as a memorial to Mrs. Jessie Allison Summers, wife of a former pastor and mother of the present supply pastor.
On February 19, 1984, Mr. George Evans was appointed chairman of the denominational Capital Funds Campaign for Church Extension.
On January 6, 1985, the Session approved a special offering to help feed the hungry in Ethiopia.
Mr. And Mrs. David Simmons and their children visited the congregation on September 13, 1981 and again on August 26, 1990. On each occasion, they presented their work in Peru, where they serve as missionaries for the South American Mission. Mrs. Simmons is the daughter of the present supply pastor, Rev. L.M. Allison.
Additional Physical Improvements
Two Sabbath School rooms and a porch were added to the fourth church building in 1952.
The interior of the church was painted in 1953.
New pews, a heating system, and new windows were installed in 1955. Forty new Bible Songs were purchased in 1955.
New pulpit furniture and two matching offering plates were purchased in 1956.
A new piano was purchased in 1957. This instrument was destroyed when the church building burned in 1985.
A granite marker, with the names of Generostee's ministers, was erected in the churchyard in 1957. This marker was given by Mr. and Mrs. Joe F. Campbell.
The church building was painted in 1959.
Mr. and Mrs. William Hunt donated a baptismal bowl in 1976, in memory of Dr. J.P. Pressly, Mr. Hunt's grandfather and former supply pastor.
Many physical gifts were given for the present church building, which was completed in 1986. An anonymous friend provided funds to finance the digging of a well to provide water for the new structure. Mrs. Jean Latham, present pianist, donated the present piano in memory of her husband, Rev. Vernon Latham, a son of the congregation. Mr. and Mrs. Joe F. Campbell gave the communion table. Mrs. Herschel Taylor gave the offering plates. Mrs. Thurman Evans and her children gave Bible Songs, in memory of her late husband. Dr. James H. Young, surgeon from Anderson, South Carolina, donated the pulpit Bible. "The Woodmen of the World" provided an American Flag and a Christian flag for use in the sanctuary. Five stained glass windows were given as follows: In memory of Mr. and Mrs. William David Brown by Stewart and Margaret Brown; In memory of Mr. and Mrs. George V. Harris by Stewart and Margaret Brown; In memory of Mr. and Mrs. William David Brown by Lois B. Lane; In memory of Mr. and Mrs. Mason Evans by Dr. Sue O'Rorke and Dr. J.A. Evans; In memory of Mr. James L. Brown by Mrs. James L. Brown and children. Locust Hill Baptist Church, in Traveler's Rest, South Carolina, donated the pews and the pulpit.
The driveways and yard were surfaced with asphalt in 1987.
On September 24, 1989, the congregation voted to build a Fellowship Hall. Mr. Levis Baker, a member of the congregation, was employed to do the construction. The building was completed in 1990 and is being dedicated as a part of the bicentennial celebration November 4, 1990. Mr. Frankie Newton served as chairman of the building committee. Other members of the committee were: Mr. Ernest Evans, Mr. Aaron Woodruff, Mrs. Margaret Brown, and Mrs. Cynthia Sears.
Names of some of the early families that had passed away at the time of the centennial celebration of the denomination are as follows: Boyds, Carlisles, Gordons, McDonalds, Leslies, Robinsons, Hendersons, Wylies, Presslys, Lusks, McGills, and Buchanans. (Centennial History, p. 478)
Names of families, 1900- 1990: Stevenson, Brown, Simpson, Sherard, Campbell, Stacks, Hamilton, Harris, Hicks, Manning, Patterson, Morgan, Wiles, Burris, Young, Burdette, Watt, Broadwell, Sanders, McCalister, Burriss, Black, Charping, Ranson, Latham, Seigler, Evans, Gentry, Parnell, Cook, Arnold, Clinkscales, McKee, Wilson, Dicks, Baker, Chambers, Cox, Davis, Dutton, Fleming, Hoyes, Holcombe, Jordan, Loftis, Lewis, Mitchell, Newton, O'Rorke, Revis, Sanders, Sears, Taylor, Timms, Watson, and Woodruff.
In the recent evaluation of the total program of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church, the General Synod expressed the hope "that a program of revitalization be developed for declining churches." (1989 Minutes of Synod, p. 251) Generostee is one of the many declining churches in the denomination. Although there are sixty-five names on the church roll, only twenty members can be called active. There are only two children in the congregation. Those discouraging statistics present a two- fold challenge to Generostee Church. The congregation is challenged to reach out and bring in additional members. There are some families in the community which need to be brought into the fellowship of Generostee Church. The twenty active members are challenged to dedicated service for the Master. If twenty-one people love the Lord with all their hearts and love other people like they love themselves, exciting things will begin to happen. God has been faithful to Generostee Church for two hundred years. God will continue to be faithful to Generostee Church because He is the unchanging God. The question for the members and friends of Generostee Church is "Will we be faithful to Him?"
— Submitted September 24, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 24, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,787 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on September 24, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 8. submitted on September 25, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 9, 10. submitted on October 8, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 11. submitted on September 25, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.