Central Fire Station
—Downtown Lowell Historic District —
Lowell's main fire station burned down in 1888 and although centrally located, was difficult to access on Middle Street. Palmer Street was cut through between Market and Merrimack Streets in 1889, improving access, and this new firehouse was built fronting on the newly created street. Designed in the Romanesque Revival style by local architects Merrill and Cutler who also designed the current City Hall (1893), it served as Lowell's main station until 1972.
Erected 2016 by City of Lowell and Lowell Historic Board.
Location. 42° 38.697′ N, 71° 18.648′ W. Marker is in Lowell, Massachusetts, in Middlesex County. Marker is at the intersection of Palmer Street and Middle Street, on the left when traveling north on Palmer Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 45 Palmer Street, Lowell MA 01852, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. McCarthy Building (a few steps from this marker); Institute Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Simpson and Rowland Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Homage to Women (within shouting distance of this
Also see . . .
1. Downtown Lowell Historic District. (Submitted on May 28, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Lowell measures buildings in 'stories' (Lowell Sun, 2016). (Submitted on May 28, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 28, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 28, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.