Near Riviera in Kleberg County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
U.S. Army March to Rio Grande, 1846
Approximate Route of
Battle road of General Zachary Taylor and largest U.S. Army fielded in first half of the 19th century.
After annexation of former Republic of Texas was approved in 1845, the United States sent Taylor to occupy area below the Nueces—to support claim to all land east of the Rio Grande. In August 1845 he reached Corpus Christi where he waited while U.S. and Mexico tried to reach boundary agreement. He also sent out engineers to map a road parallel to the Gulf, where the U.S. Navy watched the crisis.
His army—including on its rosters two later U.S. presidents and later many statesmen and generals—throughout a rainy winter. On orders from Washington, it moved toward Rio Grande in March 1846. Along its path were few people but much game—wild cattle, antelope, deer, mustang horses, wild turkeys.
Although challenged about 70 miles south of here by a Mexican patrol, Taylor proceeded to occupy Rio Grande Valley. April attacks and May battles of Palo Alto and Resaca de la Palma caused the United States to declare war. Afterward many troops took this road and joined the fighting, which fixed the Rio Grande as boundary and gained for U.S. lands now in Arizona, California, Nevada and New Mexico.
Erected 1969 by State Historical Survey Committee
Location. 27° 21.149′ N, 97° 49.871′ W. Marker is near Riviera, Texas, in Kleberg County. Marker is on U.S. 77 0.9 miles north of Ranch to Market Road 628, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Riviera TX 78379, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. 1766 Exploration of Diego Ortiz Parilla (here, next to this marker); Riviera - 1687 (approx. 9.3 miles away); Kenedy County (approx. 9.3 miles away); Kenedy County Courthouse Construction (approx. 9.3 miles away); The Town of Sarita (approx. 9.4 miles away); Taylor Camp Site, 1846 (approx. 9.6 miles away); Englishmen in South Texas, 1568 (approx. 11˝ miles away); Uriah Lott (approx. 11.6 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Historic Sites of the U.S.-Mexican War in Texas. In January 1846, following the admittance of Texas into the Union (on December 29, 1845) and the refusal of the Mexican government to receive U.S. diplomat John Slidell, President James K. Polk ordered General Taylor to advance to the Rio Grande, considered by the United States to be the boundary between Texas and Mexico. Between March 11 and 27, 1846 Taylor's "Army of Occupation" marched south across the disputed "Nueces Strip" - a 160-mile long expanse of (Submitted on May 31, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Blood on the Rio Grande: The Mexican-American War. On May 13, 1846, the U.S. Congress declared war against Mexico, thus marking the beginning of the Mexican-American War, a conflict that saw the U.S. take possession of more than 500,000 square miles of Mexican territory. The war was precipitated by the U.S. annexation of Texas in 1845 and a dispute over the boundary between Texas and Mexico. The Mexican government stated that the boundary was, and had always been, defined by the Nueces River. U.S Pres. James K. Polk asserted that the boundary was defined by the Rio Grande, more than 100 miles south of the Mexican claim. (Submitted on May 31, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Mexican American War: Timeline of Major Events. March 1846: General Taylor leads troops past the Nueces River toward the Rio Grande River, through and into the land that both the U.S. and Mexico claimed as its own. (Submitted on June 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles • War, Mexican-American •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 31, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 68 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 31, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.