St. Simons Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Cassina Garden Club Houses
Eventually this Gascoigne Bluff area was given to Glynn County for a park honoring the first naval site in America. These cabins were given to the Cassina Garden Club in 1931 for preservation purposes.
Erected 1965 by Cassina Garden Club.
Location. 31° 10.26′ N, 81° 24.446′ W. Marker is in St. Simons Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is on Arthur J. Moore Drive north of Hamilton Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Simons Island GA 31522, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Man Named Wesley Passed This Way / Lovely Lane Chapel (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gascoigne Bluff (about 500 feet away); Epworth By The Sea / Epworth Pioneers (about 500 feet away); Hamilton Plantation (about 500 feet away); A Mission By The Sea / Susannah Wesley (about 500 feet away); Lovely Lane Chapel Captain Gascoigne (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Gascoigne Bluff (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Simons Island.
Regarding Cassina Garden Club Houses. The foundation of the plantation system was made up of those at the bottom of the social hierarchy - the slaves. The cultivation of sea island cotton was labor intensive, and the planters were often outnumbered by their black charges as much as twenty to one. The slaves lived in cabins made of wood or tabby that were often duplexes large enough to accommodate two families.
The use of tabby had been discontinued in Georgia after 1762 until its revitalization by the coastal planters. Thomas Spalding, influenced by the ruins of Frederica, reintroduced tabby in 1805 with the construction of his home on Sapelo Island. Other planters followed his example, and tabby construction in the home of both master and slave thrived until the Civil War.
Also see . . . The Coastal Georgia Experience, History - St. Simons Island. ( James) Hamilton settled on the southwestern portion of St. Simons and gave the plantation
The Hamilton property included Gascoigne Bluff, where Captain John Barry of the fledgling United States Navy supervised the shipping of live oak timber felled on St. Simons Island in 1794 for the construction of the USS Constitution, Old Ironsides. And it was from the Hamilton wharf located here that most of St. Simons' sea island cotton was shipped to northern and European markets.
Hamilton's business interests were not restricted to St. Simons, and he was often away from his island home. In his travels, he sent John Couper seeds and plants from all over the world to test their adaptability on St. Simons Island. Hamilton took an active interest, however, in island affairs, and his plantation was noted for its efficiency and productivity. Eventually, Hamilton accumulated a fortune from his cotton fields, and retired to Philadelphia to pursue his northern business interests. At his death in 1829, his estate was said to be worth more than a million dollars. The other planters of St. Simons would not be so fortunate. (Submitted on September 27, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Landmarks • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 27, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,280 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 27, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.