Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Marshall in Fauquier County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Salem

Lee’s Narrow Escape

 

—Mosby's Confederacy, First and Second Manassas Campaign —

 
Salem - Lee’s Narrow Escape Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, June 16, 2007
1. Salem - Lee’s Narrow Escape Marker
Inscription. The Village of Salem (renamed Marshall in 1882) was in the heartland of Col. John Singleton Mosby’s Confederacy. His 43rd Battalion of Partisan Rangers was summoned by the grapevine when needed and executed successful raids, often under the cover of darkness. One such action occurred October 5, 1864, one mile southwest of here on Stephenson’s Hill. Mosby’s men wreaked havoc on Federal soldiers by lobbing artillery shells upon them as they attempted to repair the Manassas Gap Railroad just east of here.

Confederate Gens. Lee, Longstreet, Jackson, and Stuart all stayed in or marched through Salem during the war. On August 25, 1862, Gen. Stonewall Jackson bivouacked here on the way to the Battle of Second Manassas.

One day later, Gen. Robert E. Lee (with Longstreet’s Corps) spent the evening at the home of Mrs. John Marshall, daughter-in-law of U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice John Marshall. On August 27, Lee accompanied by 12 staff officers and couriers, set out for Manassas well in advance of his troops. Federal cavalry approached dangerously close. Lee’s officers formed a line across the road to screen the flight of the commander-in-chief as he speedily rode to the cover of his advance guard. The Federals, on seeing the gray line in the road, thought they were being confronted by a large force of cavalry and turned
Salem - Lee’s Narrow Escape Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, June 16, 2007
2. Salem - Lee’s Narrow Escape Marker
back. It is believed that this was one of the few instances during the war when Lee was actually in danger of capture.

Following Lee’s surrender to U.S. Grant on April 9, 1865, Mosby called the Rangers together on April 21 in Salem and, rather than surrender, formally disbanded the Battalion at a site one-half mile from here.

Other significant Salem sites are identified in the Fauquier Heritage Society’s walking tour flyer available here in the Salem Meeting House, which served as a hospital during the war.
 
Erected by Civil War Trails.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
 
Location. 38° 51.961′ N, 77° 51.279′ W. Marker is in Marshall, Virginia, in Fauquier County. Marker is on Warrenton Road (U.S. 17). Touch for map. Marker is just south of the intersection of Main Street / John Marshall Highway (VA 55). Marker is at or near this postal address: 4110 Warrenton Road, Marshall VA 20115, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. McClellan Relieved From Command (within shouting distance of this marker); Mosby’s Rangers Disband (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mosby’s Rangers Disband Site
Salem or Upper Carter’s Run Meeting House image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, June 23, 2007
3. Salem or Upper Carter’s Run Meeting House
Also known as the Old Stone Academy.
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Lee’s Narrow Escape (approx. 0.3 miles away); Campaign of Second Manassas (approx. 0.3 miles away); Birthplace of Lt. Presley Neville O’Bannon, USMC (approx. 0.9 miles away); Number 18 School (approx. 1.3 miles away); Oak Hill (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marshall.
 
More about this marker. Marker displays a picture of Col. John S. Mosby and a drawing with the caption “Mosby’s last review before disbanding his rangers on April 21, 1865. – From Partisan Life With Mosby by John Scott.”
 
Additional keywords. Mosby's Confederacy, First Manassas Campaign, Second Manassas Campaign
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Stephenson’s Hill image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, June 23, 2007
4. Stephenson’s Hill
This high ground just on the South edge of town is known as Stephenson’s Hill. Mosby’s cannon were placed in this vicinity.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 17, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,056 times since then and 93 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 17, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   3, 4. submitted on June 23, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement