Near Blessing in Matagorda County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old Hawley Cemetery
Known 1838-1899 as Deming's Bridge Cemetery. Second post office in Matagorda County was located nearby in 1858.
Two acres donated by Emelius Savage and his son Norman for the cemetery and Tres Palacios Baptist Church, founded 1852. More land given by Jonathan E. Pierce, who in 1900 named area Hawley, honoring United States senator Robert Bradley Hawley.
Buried here are the brothers Jonathan E. and Abel H. ("Shang") Pierce and many other famous early cattlemen; also, more than 50 veterans of Civil War and all U.S. wars since 1865.
Erected 1967 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 3741.)
Location. 28° 53.267′ N, 96° 10.636′ W. Marker is near Blessing, Texas, in Matagorda County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 35 and Hawley Cemetery Road (County Highway 437), on the right when traveling south on State Highway 35. Touch for map. Marker is located just off the highway, at the northwest corner of the intersection. Marker is in this post office area: Blessing TX 77419, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Blessing Library Association (approx. 2.9 miles away); Clemville J.S. Abercrombie Mineral Company (approx. 8.4 miles away); Danevang Lutheran Church (approx. 10.9 miles away); Danevang Community Hall (approx. 10.9 miles away); Danevang Pioneer Monument (approx. 10.9 miles away); Ansgar Evangelical Lutheran Church and Cemetery (approx. 10.9 miles away); Danevang (approx. 10.9 miles away).
Regarding Old Hawley Cemetery. Hawley Cemetery is about 1 mile north of the marker on Hawley Cemetery Road (County Road 437).
Also see . . .
1. Hawley Cemetery.
Hawley Cemetery was established in 1854. It is located on Tres Palacios River, two miles east of Blessing. The name Deming’s Bridge originated from the cemetery’s proximity to Deming’s Bridge and was in the churchyard of Tres Palacios Baptist Church. The names of the community and post office were changed from Deming’s Bridge to Hawley by Jonathan Edwards Pierce in 1899. The earliest recorded burial was Sarah Tone October 30, 1857. During the 1930s, during a cleanup effort, a brush fire got out of control and burned the existing wooden markers. 80 oblong concrete markers were placed on the graves where the wooden markers (Submitted on June 7, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Hawley, Texas (A Texas Ghost Town).
Once known as Deming’s Bridge, after Edwin A. Deming, who constructed a crude bridge over the Tres Palacios River in 1857, the community went unnamed until a post office opened in 1858 – with Deming as postmaster. Abel “Shanghai” Pierce and his brother Jonathan had their ranch headquarters just south of the bridge around the time of the Civil War. By the mid 1880s, Deming’s Bridge had a thriving population of 300 which grew to 500 by the early 1890s. Jonathan Pierce had taken over as postmaster for the town by this time and when his son Abel received an appointment in the Navy, Pierce repaid the kindness of his son’s benefactor by renaming the town in his honor. Robert Bradley Hawley was the namesake, although the local school retained the name of Deming’s Bridge. In 1903 the New York, Texas and Mexican Railway was advancing across the prairie and Jon Pierce donated land to insure the railroad would pass through the region. The town of Blessing appeared that year and Hawley’s post office and Masonic Lodge moved to the new town, cutting Hawley loose to become an eventual ghost town. (Submitted on June 7, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 10, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 7, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 46 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 7, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.