Fredericksburg in Gillespie County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Soldiers lived a rough life on the Texas frontier. Even though rank had its privileges, Fort Martin Scott offered few amenities. Private quarters and privies were the only noticeable luxuries officers enjoyed at the fort.
There were six buildings for officers’ quarters. They were made of adobe, weatherboard or logs, and stood on the north side of the parade ground facing east towards the enlisted men’s barracks. Outdoor toilets, called privies, stood behind the row of officers’ quarters. Bachelor officers shared a single room together while a married officer lived alone with his wife and family. Army life on the frontier often meant traveling light, so furniture was crude and typically constructed at the post out of whatever material was available. When an officer was reassigned to another frontier post, he usually took only what he and his horse could carry.
Most of the commissioned officers assigned to Fort Martin Scott were junior in rank – young captains and lieutenants. These junior officers commanded the infantry and dragoon companies stationed at the post. The duties of the officers at Fort Martin Scott included inspecting the enlisted troops, training them in horsemanship and tactics, leading patrols, and enforcing Army discipline.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is located within the Fort Martin Scott parade grounds. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1606 E Main St, Fredericksburg TX 78624, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Fort Martin Scott (within shouting distance of this marker); Commanding the Fort (within shouting distance of this marker); The Comanche Indians (within shouting distance of this marker); The Town and the Fort (within shouting distance of this marker); The Barracks (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Uncovering the Past (about 400 feet away); Peace with the Indians (about 500 feet away); The Sutler's Store (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
More about this marker. Fort Martin Scott is a restored United States Army outpost in Fredericksburg, Texas, that was active from 1848 until 1853. It was part of a line of frontier forts established to protect travelers and settlers within Texas. This marker is somewhat weathered and difficult to read.
Related markers. list of markers that are related to this marker. Fort Martin Scott
Also see . . . Fort Martin Scott. The post was two miles southeast of Fredericksburg on Barons Creek, a tributary of the Pedernales River. This fort, part of the army's effort to protect Texan settlers and travelers from Indian depredations, served the Fredericksburg-San Antonio road and the local region. As the settlers pushed farther west, Fort Martin Scott lost any strategic significance it might have had and became economically unjustified and militarily unnecessary because of its distance from the front line of forts. From late 1852 through 1853 the fort assumed the role of forage depot. (Submitted on June 8, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 11, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 8, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 8, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.