Fredericksburg in Gillespie County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Uncovering the Past
For one week in May, 1986, archaeologists from the Center for Archaeological Research at the University of Texas at San Antonio conducted a dig at Fort Martin Scott to locate foundations of the original buildings. Some of the foundations of the original officers' quarters were visible prior to the survey. For other structures, they relied on an 1853 Army survey of the post that showed building locations. Finding the cut-stone foundation of the fort's bakery oven, as well as the foundation of the laundresses' quarters was cause for celebration. A sweep with a metal detector found the probable location of the blacksmith shop, behind the enlisted men's quarters.
Working under a blistering sun with shovels and trowels, archaeologists unearthed 754 artifacts. The number would undoubtedly have been higher had they excavated trash dumps or privies. The site yielded glass fragments of windows and bottles, and various ceramic shards. Hand-forged square-cut nails, dropped on the ground by the original builders over 130 years before the dig, are also part of the archaeological record. The few military objects found are attributed to the soldiers stationed at Fort Martin Scott from 1848 to 1853.
Location. 30° 14.97′ N, 98° 50.747′ W. Marker Touch for map. Marker is located within the Fort Martin Scott parade grounds. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1606 E Main St, Fredericksburg TX 78624, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Sutler's Store (within shouting distance of this marker); The Town and the Fort (within shouting distance of this marker); The Guardhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); The Comanche Indians (within shouting distance of this marker); Peace with the Indians (within shouting distance of this marker); The Barracks (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Braeutigam Family (about 300 feet away); The Natural Setting (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
Regarding Uncovering the Past. Fort Martin Scott is a restored United States Army outpost in Fredericksburg, Texas, that was active from 1848 until 1853. It was part of a line of frontier forts established to protect travelers and settlers within Texas.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Fort Martin Scott
Also see . . . Archaeological Investigations at Fort Martin Scott. (Link to Abstract describing the 1986 Fort Martin Scott archaeological project.) During May 24-30, 1986, archaeological investigations at Fort Martin Scott were conducted by the Center for Archaeological Research at The University of Texas at San Antonio. The fort was established by the U. S. Army in 1848. It was the fifth United States fort in Texas. Only one of the fort's original buildings now exists. The foundations for an additional eight structures were identified and documented by this project. (Submitted on June 8, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 11, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 8, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 46 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 8, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.