Brownsville in Cameron County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Built 1877-1890 for Manuel Alonso, the Alonso Building (Los Dos Cañones) has wrought iron railings and doors reminiscent of French Creole architecture. It was one of several buildings built by immigrants from Spain. The first floor served as a dry goods business and the second floor as a home for the family. It was restored by the Gorgas Science Foundation.
Construido de 1877-1890 para Manuel Alonso, el Edificio Alonso (Los Dos Cañones) tiene barandillas de hierro y puertas evocativas a la arquitectura criolla francesa. Este fue uno de los varios edificios construidos por inmigrantes españoles. Servía como mercería en el piso bajo y como residencia familiar en el segundo piso.
Erected by Brownsville Historical Association.
Location. 25° 54.235′ N, 97° 30.239′ W. Marker is in Brownsville, Texas, in Cameron County. Marker is at the intersection of East St Charles Street and East 6th Street, on the right when traveling south on East St Charles Street. Touch for map. Marker is mounted on the southeast corner of the building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 510 E St Charles St, Brownsville TX 78520, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are Alonso Complex (a few steps from this marker); Sacred Heart Catholic Church (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sacred Heart Church (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Sacred Heart Church (about 600 feet away); U.S. Federal Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Majestic Theatre (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named U.S. Federal Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Southern Pacific Railroad Passenger Depot (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brownsville.
More about this marker. Marker is in the Brownsville Historical Trail series.
Categories. • Architecture • Hispanic Americans • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 3, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 9, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 42 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 9, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 5. submitted on June 27, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.