Brownsville in Cameron County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old Cameron County Courthouse/Dancy Building
- 1912 -
Built in 1912 and designed by Atlee B. Ayres in the Classical style, the brown brick and terracotta building features a rotunda with a stained glass dome. The interior has Sullivanesque ornamentation. It was named after Oscar Dancy, a county judge who served for 50 years and pushed for its construction. The restoration of the building was completed in 2006.
Construido en 1912 y diseñado por Atlee B. Ayres en el estilo clásico. El edificio de ladrillo marrón y terracota presenta una rotonda con una cúpula de vidrieras. El interior tiene ornamentación similar al estilo de Louis Sullivan. Fue nombrado en honor de Oscar Dancy, un juez del condado que sirvió por 50 años y impulse su construcción. La restauración del edificio termino en el 2006.
Erected by Brownsville Historical Association.
Location. 25° 54.219′ N, 97° 29.722′ W. Marker is in Brownsville, Texas, in Cameron County. Marker is at the intersection of East Madison Street and East 12th Street, on the right when traveling north on East Madison Street. Touch for map. Marker is located at the southwest corner of the Old (1912) Cameron County Courthouse grounds. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1150 E Madison St, Brownsville TX 78520, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Old County Jail / Fernandez Building (a few steps from this marker); Old Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); Cameron County (within shouting distance of this marker); 1912 Cameron County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); 1882 Cameron County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Cameron County Courthouse of 1883-1914 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old County Courthouse Rio Grande Lodge No. 81 (about 300 feet away); Campo Santo Viejo (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brownsville.
More about this marker. Marker is in the Brownsville Historical Trail series.
Regarding Old Cameron County Courthouse/Dancy Building. National Register of Historic Places (1980), Recorded Texas Historic Landmark (2000)
Also see . . .
1. The 1912 Cameron County Courthouse. The brick exterior features banded ground floor courses, Corinthian columns and pilasters, a dome and a classical parapet with terra cotta trim. The interior is notable for its octagonal rotunda and elaborate art-glass dome. When the county built a new courthouse in 1981, this site remained for county offices and was renamed the Dancy (Submitted on June 11, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Atlee Bernard Ayres. In 1915 Ayres was state architect of Texas, a position that allowed him to design the Blind Institute, the Texas State Office Building, and other important buildings. On the University of Texas campus he designed Carothers Dormitory and the original Pharmacy Building. He drew plans for courthouses in Kingsville, Alice, Refugio, Del Rio, and Brownsville. He was a charter member of the Texas Society of Architects and was one of three architects instrumental in securing passage of state legislation in 1937 for the licensing of architects to practice. He received license number 3. Ayres was still practicing architecture when he died at the age of ninety-six in San Antonio. (Submitted on June 28, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Architecture • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 29, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 11, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 61 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 11, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.