East Molesey in Surrey County, England, United Kingdom
The Privy Garden
The baroque Privy Garden you see today was originally completed by William III in 1702, then reconstructed by Historic Royal Palaces in 1995.
William IIIís baroque masterpiece William III (r1689-1702) swept away the old Tudor Privy Garden to create a magnificent garden in the latest French style, adding Dutch and English features.
Highly formal garden like this were a symbol of manís control over nature. When William realised his new garden was too high to see the Thames, he ordered it dug up to give him a better view of the river!
Today this terrace is used once more in the summer to re-create displays of Queen Mary (r
Location. 51° 24.161′ N, 0° 20.199′ W. Marker is in East Molesey, England, in Surrey County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Hampton Court Bridge and Hampton Court Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located in Hampton Court Palace. Marker is in this post office area: East Molesey, England KT8 9AS, United Kingdom.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Broad Walk (a few steps from this marker); The Great Fountain Garden (within shouting distance of this marker); Golden Jubilee Fountain Home Park and the Long Water (about 210 meters away); Barge Walk (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Site of the Toy Inn (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Molesey Riverbank (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); The Family Coat of Arms of Thomas Newland Allen (approx. half a kilometer away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in East Molesey.
Also see . . .
1. Hampton Court Palace. (Submitted on June 12, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. Hampton Court Palace on Wikipedia. (Submitted on June 12, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Environment • Horticulture & Forestry •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 12, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 12, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 54 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 12, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.