Floresville in Wilson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Wilson County Jail
built in 1887
Listed in the
National Register of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
Location. 29° 8.028′ N, 98° 9.442′ W. Marker is in Floresville, Texas, in Wilson County. Marker is on C Street east of 3rd Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is mounted at eye-level, directly on the front of the subject building, just left of the main front entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1140 C Street, Floresville TX 78114, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Captain Will Wright (here, next to this marker); Wilson County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); The Flores de Abrego Family and Floresville (within shouting distance of this marker); Wilson County (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); James Charles Wilson (about 300 feet away); Site of Old Town: Lodi (approx. half a mile away); Cemetery of Canary Islanders (approx. one mile away); Vicinity of site: "Mision de las Cabras" (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Floresville.
Regarding Wilson County Jail. National Register of
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Wilson County Texas Courthouse & Jail
Also see . . .
1. The Floresville Jailhouse Museum.
The building was built in 1887 to serve as a jail and the residence of the sheriff and his family. It was used as such until 1974 when a new Criminal Justice Facility was built. The jail house was a two story building which could accommodate 32 prisoners. The ground floor and the front portion of the second floor served as the sheriff's living quarters. This consisted of two rooms upstairs and four rooms on the first floor. Food for the prisoners was prepared in the kitchen by the sheriff's wife or other helpers. Dice would be left on the counter to show how many prisoners there were to be fed. There was also a trap door for hanging but it did not function properly and was only used once. Afterwards scaffolds were built outside for hanging (Submitted on June 12, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Wilson County Jailhouse Musuem.
Although modern plumbing, heating, and lighting have been added over the years, the original floor plan has not been changed and the original jail cells still remain intact. In 1936 the exterior was modified by the Works Project Administration. The two gables on the east and west elevations were removed and the gable roof was changed to a hip roof. The brick crenellation which extended along the perimeter (Submitted on June 13, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Wilson County Courthouse & Jail National Register of Historic Places Documentation.
Situated on the northeast corner of the courthouse square, the Wilson County Jail was constructed in 1887. Designed by the noteworthy architect James Riely Gordon the cubical jail has massive stuccoed brick walls highlighted by corner pilasters with molded capitals. Segmental arched windows with hood molds flank either side of the projecting central bay. Segmental arched hood molds cap the second floor windows of the central bay of the SW and NE facades. Dentil molding supports the cornice and a standing-seam hipped roof caps the jail. (Submitted on June 13, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Law Enforcement •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 14, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 12, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 42 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 13, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.