Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Brenham in Washington County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Robert Emmett Bledsoe Baylor

(1793-1873)

 
 
Robert Emmett Bledsoe Baylor Marker image. Click for full size.
By Larry D. Moore, June 11, 2018
1. Robert Emmett Bledsoe Baylor Marker
Inscription. R.E.B. Baylor, for whom Baylor University is named, was a prominent leader in diverse arenas of public service: military, judicial, political, educational, fraternal and religious. A Kentucky native, he served in the War of 1812 and the Creek Indian War, attaining the rank of Lieutenant Colonel. Following successes in law and politics in Kentucky and Alabama, he moved to Texas in 1839 and taught school at La Grange, later settling at Gay Hill (7 mi. W), where he built his home, Holly Oak.

Baylor was judge of the Third Judicial District and associate justice of the Republic of Texas Supreme Court, 1841-45. He continued as district judge during statehood, retiring in 1863. A Mason, he was Grand Chaplain of the Grand Lodge of Texas.

It was perhaps as a Baptist leader that Baylor received his greatest recognition. Converted to Christianity in 1839, he helped found the Texas Baptist Education Society in 1841. With W.M. Tryon and J.G. Thomas, he worked to start a Baptist university. Chartered in 1845 as Baylor University, it opened at Independence the following year and included a female department later chartered separately as Baylor Female College. Baylor served as a trustee for both institutions and taught law classes, accepting no pay for teaching.

Judge R.E.B. Baylor died on Dec. 30, 1873, with burial here
Robert Emmett Bledsoe Baylor Marker Area image. Click for full size.
By Larry D. Moore, June 11, 2018
2. Robert Emmett Bledsoe Baylor Marker Area
on the Windmill Hill campus. The university moved to Waco in 1886, and in 1917, reburial of his remains occurred at Baylor Female College (now Mary Hardin-Baylor University) in Belton. This marker commemorates the judge's productive years here, from which his influence spread worldwide and is still in evidence today.
 
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13679.)
 
Location. 30° 18.95′ N, 96° 20.72′ W. Marker is near Brenham, Texas, in Washington County. Marker can be reached from Lueckemeyer Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brenham TX 77833, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Baylor University for Boys (within shouting distance of this marker); Home Built in 1845 by General Jerome B. Robertson (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Baylor University on Windmill Hill (about 400 feet away); General Sam Houston (about 500 feet away); Old Baptist Church (approx. mile away); Houston-Lea Family Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Margaret Moffette Lea Houston (approx. 0.3 miles away); Liberty Baptist Church (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brenham.
 
Also see . . .  Baylor, Robert Emmett Bledsoe. from the Handbook of Texas Online (Submitted on June 13, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas.) 
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionEducation
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 23, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 12, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 12, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement