Jacksboro in Jack County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Established by the United States War Department
on November 26, 1867
as a protection of the frontier
against hostile Indians
Named in honor of
General Israel B. Richardson, U.S.A.,
killed at Antietam, September 17, 1862
Abandoned May 23, 1878
as the line of settlement had passed westward.
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 2008.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 33° 12.36′ N, 98° 9.8′ W. Marker is in Jacksboro, Texas, in Jack County. Marker is on Park Road 61 0.6 miles west of South Main Street (U.S. 281), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jacksboro TX 76458, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lost Battalion (within shouting distance of this marker); Butterfield Stage Line (approx. 0.7 miles away); Former Gulf, Texas & Western Railroad Depot (approx. 0.7 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.9 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Fort Richardson. (Submitted on June 24, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas.)
2. Fort Richardson State Park, Historic Site & Lost Creek Reservoir State Trailway. (Submitted on June 24, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 24, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 24, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 54 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 24, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.