Ridge of the attack
Civil War Walking Trail
On the morning of October 11, 1863, it was from this ridge position that the early portion of the Battle of Collierville was fought. It was partially defended by Union forces, but secured by the Confederates. The attacking Confederate Cavalry troopers (numbering about 3,000) led by Gen. James R. Chalmers, galloped into this area from the south, and this ridge was already beginning to be contested by Col. Dewitt C. Anthony's 66th Indiana Infantry Volunteers. Col. Anthony's 66th Indiana and the small group of the l3th U. S. Regular Infantry (escort of Gen. William T. Sherman, who had just arrived on a train headed to Corinth, Mississippi, about the time the hostilities were beginning) gave the defending Union garrison of Collierville about 480 men.
In the weeks following
The November 3rd battle found the post at Collierville commanded by Lt.-Col. George W. Trafton and his 7th Illinois Cavalry that garrisoned the town. This garrison was eight companies of the 7th Illinois. The Confederate's were once again led by Gen. James R. Chalmers, and this time he had slightly fewer troopers (about 2,500) with him.
Cot Edward Hatch and his 2nd Iowa Cavalry (450 troops) had received a telegram in Germantown, Tennessee, (about 8 miles away), that Gen. Chalmers cavalry was moving on Collierville. Col. Hatch left Germantown with the 2nd Iowa and made quick time in reaching Collierville, almost at the same time as did Gen. Chalmers. Col. Hatch had also brought additional artillery with him. Lt.-Col. Trafton's eight company strength was not given in his Official Report, but Col. Edward Hatch's Official Report of the battle gave the combined strength (Trafton's and Hatch's) at 850 men. The battle resulted in General Chalmer's failure to take the garrison and he returned to Oxford, Mississippi.
In the battle November 3, 1863, it is noteworthy to mention that both Union and Confederate forces were cavalry.
(Sidebar letter not transcribed. Click on the picture to read it.)
Location. 35° 2.347′ N, 89° 39.966′ W. Marker is in Collierville, Tennessee, in Shelby County. Marker is at the intersection of Center Street and West South Street on Center Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 215 South Center St., Collierville TN 38017, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Collierville United Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Collierville, Tenn. (approx. ¼ mile away); Battle of Collierville (approx. ¼ mile away); The Wigfall Grays (approx. ¼ mile away); Presbyterian Church of Collierville (approx. ¼ mile away); Saint Andrew's Episcopal Church (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Battle of Collierville (approx. 0.3 miles away); Chalmers's Collierville Raid (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Collierville.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 25, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 24, 2018, by Christopher Wallace Martin of Germantown, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 65 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on June 24, 2018, by Christopher Wallace Martin of Germantown, Tennessee. 2. submitted on October 22, 2018, by Christopher Wallace Martin of Germantown, Tennessee. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.