South Haven in Van Buren County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
South Haven Lighthouse
The first light was erected in 1873 at the end of a 225 foot wooden pier that had been in use since 1861. The square pyramid wooden structure consisted of two rooms mounted on a raised platform. The bottom room was for oil storage, the top room housed the lamp. The lamp was lit at ten minutes before sunset, and by midnight, it was necessary to change lamps as the oil in the first one was nearly depleted by that time. At sunrise, the lamp was extinguished. Measuring 37'6" from the lake level to the tip of the flame of the lamp, the beacon could ordinarily be seen from 11 to 15 miles depending on weather conditions.
& The Appleyard family in memory of Richard & Allegra Appleyard
Erected by Historical Association of South Haven, The Appleyard family in memory of Richard & Allegra Appleyard, and Michigan Maritime Museum.
Location. 42° 24.111′ N, 86° 17.016′ W. Marker is in South Haven, Michigan, in Van Buren County. Marker can be reached from Water Street 0.1 miles west of St. Joseph Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located on the South Haven Harbor Walk, near the east end of South
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lifesaving Station (within shouting distance of this marker); Birth of City Utilities (within shouting distance of this marker); History of the Channel Piers (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Over a Century of Tourism (about 300 feet away); Resort Industry (about 300 feet away); The Lightkeeper's Dwelling (about 600 feet away); Entertainment Around the Harbor (approx. 0.3 miles away); Commercial Shipping (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in South Haven.
More about this marker. Marker is a large composite plaque, mounted horizontally on waist-high posts. Marker is part of South Haven's Harbor Walk series.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. South Haven Harbor Walk
Also see . . .
1. The South Haven South Pierhead Light. The South Haven South Pierhead Light is a lighthouse in Michigan, at the entrance to the Black River on Lake Michigan. The station (Submitted on June 25, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. South Haven, Michigan Light House (Pier Light). Throughout the 1860’s, as South Haven grew as a port, several attempts were made to increase the width of the channel. Already the Black River served as an important means for the settlers to transport lumber products to the cities along the lakes. By 1867, the width of the channel was such to allow almost any vessel through. Soon, it became evident that a pier head beacon at the end of the pier, along with a keepers dwelling, should be developed. In 1868, the Lighthouse Board requested money for construction of the pier head beacon on the chosen site, but there were setbacks. In 1871, construction finally began on a bluff near the shore. By 1872, the original South Haven light shone for the first time. (Submitted on June 25, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. South Haven, Michigan, Lighthouse Logs, 1872-1889. The lighthouse journals from South Haven, Michigan span from 1872 to 1889. James Donahue served as the keeper of the South (Submitted on June 25, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
4. South Haven Harbor Walk. This South Haven Harbor Walk map shows the location of this and other historical markers in South Haven. (Submitted on June 25, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
5. The South Haven Lighthouse. The South Pier and lighthouse has seen many changes over the years: In 1901, the 30′ wood tower was moved some 250′ to the new pier head with an elevated walkway. Two years later, after 30 years of harsh Lake Michigan weather, the old wood tower was replaced a new 35′ cylindrical metal tower. In 1913 the piers were extended once more, and the tower was moved 425 feet to a new location at the end of the pier. In 1916 a fifty-two foot tall steel range tower was built on the pier some 800 feet inward from the pier head light. Later the range (Submitted on June 25, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Landmarks • Man-Made Features • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 11, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 25, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 52 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 25, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 7, 8, 9. submitted on June 28, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 10, 11, 12. submitted on July 8, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.