Corunna in Shiawassee County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Hugh McCurdy / Hugh McCurdy Park
Hugh McCurdy (1829-1908), a native of Scotland, immigrated with his parents to Birmingham, Michigan, in 1837. He first worked as a cooper's apprentice, and after reading the law was admitted to the Michigan bar in 1854 and practised [sic] law in Pontiac. Soon after moving to Corunna in 1855, he was appointed Shiawassee County prosecutor. He was elected probate judge in 1860, state senator in 1864 and mayor of Corunna in 1880 and 1887. McCurdy established the First National Bank of Corunna in 1865. A member of the Free and Accepted Masons since 1850, he became Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Michigan in 1873. In this capacity, he laid the cornerstone of the new state capitol on October 2, 1873. In 1892, McCurdy was elected Grand Master of the Knights Templar of the United States. In 1899, McCurdy and his wife, Emma, gave land to Corunna for a public park.
Hugh McCurdy Park
"Corunna Has A Merry Christmas!" headlined the Corunna Journal on December 21, 1899. One week before Christmas, Judge Hugh McCurdy and his wife, Emma, donated 34 acres of their estate to the citizens of Corunna as a Christmas gift. The McCurdys continued to live in their house, nestled amid the parkland. Detroit landscape gardeners Rackham and Dilger designed the park with winding paths, rustic shelters
Erected 1990 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State and the City of Corunna Historical Commission. (Marker Number L1734.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 58.938′ N, 84° 7.534′ W. Marker is in Corunna, Michigan, in Shiawassee County. Marker is on West Corunna Avenue (State Highway 71) east of Hastings Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Corunna MI 48817, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First National Bank (approx. 0.4 miles away); Shiawassee County Courthouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); Corunna Public Schools / Shiawassee Street School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Governor Parsons Steam Railroading Institute (approx. 2.4 miles away); The Site of the First School House in Owosso (approx. 2.6 miles away); First Congregational Church and Society (approx. 2.6 miles away); Birthplace of Thomas Edmund Dewey (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Corunna.
Also see . . .
1. Hugh McCurdy. (Submitted on June 27, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
2. Hugh McCurdy, Sixteenth Grand Master, 1892-1895. (Submitted on June 27, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
Categories. • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Parks & Recreational Areas • Politics •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 30, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 27, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 47 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 27, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.